Cant Get All My Oil Out

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I`ve begun the process of winterization and have a problem. I have a `08 5.7 Gxi-j VP. I have attempted to draw my engine oil out of my pan after warming, but am only getting a couple quarts before I start pulling air and it just sputters. I have used two types of pumps a vacuum and a mechanical . Both do the same thing. I also used two methods, sticking the tube down the tube method and have used the screw on adapter method, same results. When inserting the tube I make sure that it bottoms out. I believe the pan was full as my dipstick has always read a slightly high reading. I had the boat at level.

Is there something that I am missing. I believe both pumps are working correctly as they pulled the first couple quarts easily.Is there a trick that would help? Could my dipstick reading be off? I bought the boat used from a dealer so I really don't know the engines history.I ran fine all season without alarms and produced the power and speed expected. I cant get to the pan bottom without pulling the engine, just too tight. Any suggestions what to try to get the last few quarts out.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Are you sure you are bottoming out with the tube in the pan and not hitting the crank, or anything else? Because if you are at bottom, you should have way more than two quarts coming out...I hope. :eek: Maybe turn the engine a little and insert the tube again to see what happens... JMHO! :noidea:

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7748520-21-22452.aspx

Connect to the Garden hose connection at the top of the dip stick tube and suck the oil out that way. As you can see from the diagram the dipstick goes right to the bottom of the sump (oil pan) Don't go sticking tubes down there, because ti will go up inside the sump until it hits the baffle plate and you won't get all the oil out!!!!!

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I did try the garden hose connection first and it brought up most of the two quarts, then went to the tube down the tube method after the garden hose started to sputter. I could hear this tube hitting the bottom of the pan and pulled back a half inch or so, still sputtered. I have ordered a new dipstick or dip cable as mine is. I did go ahead and put four quarts of oil in and check the dipstick, it was way over the bottom tip, like by an inch and a half. I`m beginning to think that I have the wrong dipstick and will confirm when the new part arrives this week I hope.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The main thing is to try to make a good seal when you hook up your vacuum hose. When using the garden hose adaptor make sure that there is a gasket in the female fitting (just like when you hook up a hose to a water spigot). Otherwise it will leak vacuum and you won't get all the oil out. If I warm up the engine for about 15-20 min and get a good deal with the garden hose adaptor it will suck out all the oil in less than 5 min. The small hose down the dipstick tube can work if it's far enough down the dip stick tube but it takes longer because of the size of the tube. Garden hose adaptor is much faster.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Don't put a tube down the dipstick tube. Use the garden hose fitting. The dipstick tube connects to where the drain hole normally is. Can't get better than that.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
By sticking a hose down the tube, if it is inside the tube, and not completely down in the oil, it will pull oil, but faster than the tube can re-fill. I bet ya wait a minute and it'll pull a little more. But the suggestions above are your best route to take.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
After it sat for a day or so, I took another attempt. I did manage to pull maybe another half quart before it started sputtering again. I received my new dipstick today and will compare it to the one that came with the boat to see if there is any difference.