1989 570 DP trim won't go up

I have a 1989 570DP. The trim won't go up, but will trim down normally. The trim will work up and down when the relays on the pump are directly fed. The trim switch supplies a signal both up and down. I bypassed the relay under the dash blue wire to blue wire and now the trim will work in both directions, but the hi-trim override switch doesn't work. (Trim may continue to raise without having to press the hi-trim override switch.)

I thought this inferred the relay was bad, however a new relay (under dash) didn't help.

Please advise.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

is this a new to you boat, or did this issue just arise?

your trim over-ride switch may be bad, pull your handle apart and take a look.

My 570 DP will trim down normally. It won't go up, even when the beach override switch is pushed. The trim goes up and down just fine if I feed the relays at the pump. If I bypass the beach relay under the dash ( jump the 2 blue wires with the relay removed) it will trim up and down. In this case the override switch doesn't need to be pushed. A new relay doesn't fix the problem.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Mark, try not to start multiple topics about the same problem.

Merged the 2 topics

If I jump the leads together from the override switch and trim up, the wires get hot, the digital display goes blank and no movement of the drive. Not even a click from the relay.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
That's because your shorting it out. From your description, everything works well, except the tilt limit override switch. Trouble shoot the tilt limit override switch in the control handle

sailormn

Recruit
Hope no one minds..I have a 1988 F29 with Volvo DP290 with old style trim pumps and relays. From the Trim handle, it will trim up but not down. My handles have dual set of switches. Under the handle and on the sides for your thumbs. Is there a relay under the dash panel?
1. Can the green wire be jumped to the battery to trim it down ( I need to winterize)
2. How do you take apart the handles? I have opened them up but everything is so tight together inside.

THANKS.