DPC1 to DP290?

ToastT

Cadet
Hi. I've already made the expensive mistake buying this boat now on with the problem. It's 1994 regal w/ 572ps=572a mated to DPC1. came with no props. Prev.owner said it ran fine last time out the week before,he parked it props were removed without his permission(stolen).I Ordered j style replacement installed them and noticed that shafts wouldn't turn freely.drained oil found shavings. Well to expansive to repair. So was wondering if it could be replaced with a DP290 unit. Thanks for any help i can get. I'm sure this is going to get long. If anyone knows of a good DPC1 let me know plz.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
No, unless you have the 290 transom shield then maybe.
DP-C and later have bigger hinge pins than DP-B1 and older.
So you need a DP-C, DP-C1, DP-D, DP-D1, or DP-E . They are not cheap!
What was the repair quote?
What town are you in ?

Last edited:

ToastT

Cadet
Thanks K-2
Basically that was what i found out about the 290.Thanks for the rest of the info, i needed that also. Makes for a bigger market.
Now i can start looking for those.Will they be straight swap?
Haven't gotten that far the price of the Gear set ($2000+) missing teeth flushed throughout, so all bearings and such.
I'm located in N/W Indiana, Portage.

..at least my new never been used props will work.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You should be able to find just the upper gearcase

ToastT

Cadet
thanks billbayliner. still trying to get something.... got all winter to figure it out ..so i'm sure i'll be here often thanks in advance.
Got a line on a 4.3 dp set up don't think its the correct gear ratio, going to see it today, its on a 1995 boat so thinking it a DPD.
Looks like the ratio changes in the lower end so maybe just a gear set?

ToastT

Cadet
Don't know if I should start a new topic but here it goes. The drive is currently removed and disassembled and I need to get it winterized. Can I just connect a water hose to the the intake hose that connects to drive (outside transom) and apply water there to warm up the oil to change it. Than I plan on using the bucket at the motor to drive (inside transom) intake connection to add anti-freeze. Will this work and is it ok to run the motor without the drive on?

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
Yes, a garden hose fits nicely into that hose.
You can run engine with out drive removed, no problem.
The bucket I don't know. I'm not familiar with gas engine cooling systems.

ToastT

Cadet
Thanks K-2. The bucket supply of water was from the manual. I believe that is to add the anti-freeze mix. I feel better about running it now :)

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I have a hose I made up that connects directly to the raw water pump at the motor for running on a hose without my outdrive. however you can also stick the garden hose in the transom shield and outdrive.

drain all the water from the block (both sides), manifolds, and pull the big hose off the water pump, and drain the hose between the power steering cooler and the raw water pump. No need for antifreeze. Air doesnt freeze.

trying to suck up antifreeze from a bucket without draining all the water first is a perfect way to a cracked block. and once you drain all the water, the raw water pump on a volvo will not prime from a bucket, so attempting to run from a bucket after draining will simply toast your impeller.

if pouring in Propylene Glycol antifreeze after draining your motor makes you feel better, then you remove the thermostat housing, and pour it in. use a funnel to pour it into the manifolds.

Last edited:

ToastT

Cadet
Thanks for the input Scott. I've never add anti-freeze to any of my other boats but i knew how long the layup would be. Was just thinking of rust inhibitor.Know nothing about the history.Somewhere I read to remove the impeller, don't know why? I also plan on fogging it and spraying some in the cylinders.Thanks again.

ToastT

Cadet
So now back to the drive...looked at that drive it is a DPC1 but on a 4.3 motor so I' m thinking its the wrong ratio (have to dig a little farther). If the drain plug comes out clean ( supposedly low hour bank repo boat <200 hrs) than just a gear set change in the lower and new seals. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
The man wants $3000 for the whole boat (no title). It's a shame people let these boats just rot away, been left uncovered. I don't know if any storage protection was done for the engines. 1995 monterey 27' twin drives. I'll try and turn engine with a wrench. props turn smooth by hand. any one interested?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
for what its worth, if your going to let the motor sit for years, then I would posibly worry about corrosion. however the last motor I had sitting under my workbench for 15 years showed near zero corrosion in the motor. All I did was stuff rags in the exhaust ports and water pump connections.

mice turds on the intake, grass seeds, corn dead spiders, however no corrosion.

ToastT

Cadet
Thanks Scott. Another question, might have a line on a DPD, somewhere i saw that drive is for a diesel. If true will it handle the rpms of a 5.7 gas motor?

Maclin

Admiral
It is not so much the RPM's as it is the ratio is all wrong, could not make it up with just the prop pitch. The 5.7 gas would struggle to get going and would probably not get to the top RPM band anyway.

ToastT

Cadet
Thanks for the response Maclin...was wondering where the ratio change is done.. both top of the drive and bottom or just the bottom..still have a chance to get the
DPC1 from the 4.3 but still don't know the ratio, but was wondering if I could only change the gears in the lower part to get the 1.95 I need or is there more in the top part?

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer
The gear change is only in the lower unit. The uppers in the aq series are all standard (in each model), EXCEPT the DP-E which does have a 2nd gear set in the upper for a specific diesel setup.

The DP-C1 and the DP-D are identical except for exhaust outlet.

Not a chance you can change the gear set for less than it would cost you for a good used 1:95 lower. Even if you do it yourself. No dis-respect intended but this is a procedure left to trained individuals.

Maclin

Admiral
The DP lower changes the final ratio from what the single prop lower gives with the same upper gears. For example on a 1.5~ ratio single prop unit, putting a DP lower on it makes it a 1.95.

Maclin

Admiral
I had a chat buddy that had a VP 4.3 with the DP-A, I believe it was a final ratio of 2.3 or something in that range. My 5.7 DP-A is a 1.95.

ToastT

Cadet
Thanks Maclin, None taken was going to have a VP man change it. I just cant seen to find a fresh water DPC1 1.95......so i have found a the 4.3 one so i was hoping to get it cheap and buy the new gear set(about $2000) + drive(he needs money) and labor around $3500 total i hope. Have you seen one anywhere? All help is greatly appreciated.