Volvo Penta 7.4 IO fuel injected 1998

alsuarez10

Recruit
Last few times I've been out, running for 10 minutes at 3000 RPM the engine will start running irregular and turn off. After a few attempts it will start again but idle real rough. I'll put it in forwards and very roughly it will start moving and then smooth out. The rest of the outing it will run smooth. Help

alldodge

Staff member
Last few times I've been out, running for 10 minutes at 3000 RPM the engine will start running irregular and turn off. After a few attempts it will start again but idle real rough. I'll put it in forwards and very roughly it will start moving and then smooth out. The rest of the outing it will run smooth. Help

Howdy

Your saying the engine is cold, and you fire it up. Take off and run for 10 minutes and it starts loosing power and dies. After a restart it does fine for the rest of the day running at the same speed.
Is this correct?

If it is correct, do you fire and take off quick and up on plane or do you have to idle out through a no wake zone?
IS the engine warm when you first take off or is it still cold?

alsuarez10

Recruit
I let it warm up for about 3 minutes, then I have about 3/4 of a mile channel,No Wake Zone, afterwards I accelerate gradually.

alldodge

Staff member
This is a strange one, its all warmed up and doesn't want to go for long the first time, but then after a restart and a stumble, it goes and without issue. Since it doesn't do it aging in another 10 minutes or even latter sure does make it strange.

Start with the basics, has the fuel filter been changed? Does the temp gauge show it at running temp (at least 160 degrees F or 70 C) when you take off the first time?