Installing Pertronix electronic ignition kit #2842 in an AQ125

series60

Chief Petty Officer
I've read everything I could find but still unclear about the wire connections for installing Pertronix electronic ignition kit #2842 in an AQ125 with
Bosch distributor # 0231 178 017 JF4. I removed the old points, ballast resistor wire and grommet from inside the distributor and reconnected the resistor to the original position on the side of the dist. I left the wire running from the neg side of coil to the resistor connected. There is an exposed bayonet connector which is part of the ballast resistor assembly. I will cover this exposed terminal. I ran the Ignitor wires through the hole left in the dist housing after removing the original wire. I then ran the red wire to the + side of the coil and the black wire to the ? side of coil.
I would like conformation about this before I connect the battery and hit the start switch!
Thanks, Bill

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had questions when I installed my Ignitor, and the Pertronix help desk was very quick to answer questions. They were able to send detailed diagrams as well. Additionally, if you have a ballast resistor, I believe the positive side of the Ignitor goes to the resistor, and the other side of the resistor goes to the positive side of the coil.

Last edited:

series60

Chief Petty Officer
After reviewing everyone's comments I think my terminology is a bit off when I referred to the ballast resistor. It is a capacitor that is mounted to the side of the dist. In any case the engine fired right off as soon as I hit the starter. Reset the timing to 10? and she is running very smooth now. Time to hit the water

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Remember to turn your ignition switch off if the engine is not running - I toasted mine.