VP275 oil slinger check

Walleyejustin

Recruit
Hello all, I just brought home a 1986 bay liner trophy 21'HT. it has the aq131a engine and 275 out drive. I just changed the out drive oil to 30w (it had merc quicksilver in it). How can I tell or check to see if the lower unit oil slinger is still working or if the pins are sheared as I see is a common problem?

Thanks in advance!

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
I was told you can take out the large plug behind the cover. Have the drive sitting vertical. Fill the outdrive with enough oil that the level is right at the bottom of the hole. Then spin the prop. If the oil moves your good to go after making sure the drive is not over full. If no movement maybe a problem.
Dunno. Never tried it. Was just told it works.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Oil slinger. Called a pump rotor.
Held in place with 2 spring pins.
I've not come across one that's let go.
Not saying it won't.
Any metal shavings when you changed the oil?

It's possible to pull the reverse gear and see if it's ok.

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
I believe the slinger(pump) is mounted to the prop shaft. If we are talking about the same thing

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
That's the only pump/slinger in the drive.
It's pinned to the reverse gear.

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
That's the only pump/slinger in the drive.
It's pinned to the reverse gear.

Maybe im confused but im not understanding what your saying or maybe we are talking about 2 different things.
I believe from experience with a VP280 and a lot of research that the VP 270, 275, 280, 290 all use pretty much the same setup. Slinger ring mounted to the prop shaft.
Diagrams i look at for the 275 also show it mounted on the prop shaft.
If my thinking is wrong could you please post the proper info with a diagram so that i can better understand?

OH WAIT! Maybe we are talking the same game just different terms.
The Pump is mounted to the gear that is mounted to the prop shaft?