Condensation in carb

bigtoe

Seaman
Hi had a new engine fitted late last last year and after looking at a lot of rust on the butterfly and throttle plates I had the carb rebuilt. It was all nice and sparkly !
I have a 3.0Gs with a holley 2barrel carb (500 I belive) in a 180 fourwinns horizon 1999
I'm trying to look after this engine as best I can and sometimes when doing some minor bits to it this season have annoying seen condensation water droplets on the engine after removing its cover .
This weekend after leaving it in the sea four a couple of nights ( using it for the two days) I had to drive it in quite heavy rain to the dock and loaded it onto the trailer . A fair bit of water did get onto the boat and I used the bilge pump for a while before loading it on to the trailer.
I had to put the cover on the boat yesterday and leave it as the weather got worse.
Today when cleaning it out and starting it to flush it the start was really rough and a bit of smoke from the exhaust , it then continued to idle rough. I pulled the flame arestor incase it was blocked to find the butterfly rusted and droplets of condensation on the inside top of the flame arestor and droplets and crude on the throttle plates.
The boat may have been running at low temp lately but I have felt it and it feels ok, all hoses are warm so I was thinking it was more a gauge fault, but could that be a thought to condensation in the carb.
What's the best way to eradicate the bilge of condensation, fan maybe to a solar panel?
Many thanks in advance

alldodge

Staff member
Open it up, bright sunny day above 80 degrees with a light wind. It will dry it out in no time. If this is not an option, put it under cover and a fan or two to move the air around

bigtoe

Seaman
Thanks AllDodge. I'm afraid in the cold UK the first is not an option :( the only under cover I can do is put the boat cover on it, I was wondering if keeping the engine lid over the engine whilst the boat cover is on could be worse for causing condensation? Maybe I'm better of taking the engine cover off and letting the engine/carb/bilge breathe ?

alldodge

Staff member
I've seen a lot of condensation develop from getting things to air tight, like putting the cover or tarp over the boat so air doesn't circulate. Putting a cover/tarp on it is good just don't make it tight around, makes some gaps. Being it the UK you do have your work cut out for you.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you will get condensation on the entire motor. look into fluid film or other engine coatings

with the 20 degree temp swings and near 100% humitidy in florida, I see it every day.

I use a small electric fan in the boat when the boat is covered up. it is just enough air movement to minimize condensation.

bigtoe

Seaman
Ahh yes I'll look into the engine film then, someone else recommended it to me last year, I had forgotten. I'll rig up some sort of fan on a solar panel as well so it will fans when the suns out and hopefully draw dry air into the boat.
Would it be a good idea to seal the carb by putting a bag over the flame arestor whilst in storage?
Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
not a good idea to seal the carb.

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bigtoe, Are you sure the water is from condensation an not from another source? Something like water dripping on the intake from engine compartment cover or leaking water pump spraying water.. ?

bigtoe

Seaman
Hi Ericga , there were droplets on the top underside of the fire arestor . The boat really was soaked inside and we started the boat up with the cover only just removed and I guess lots of moisture in the bilge hold.
I have a water proof cover over the engine cover and under the boat cover so any thing getting in through the cover can only run off into the boat and not onto the engine. Deco no spray from hoses inside the engine bay.
Scott , why is it not a good idea? When I read the new engine instructions for winterising it says to seal the carb with a bag to stop moisture getting in.
Thanks

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
You may want to consider absorbing pads in the bilge to begin with.

bigtoe

Seaman
Absorbing pads? Not heard of them could you post a link, or do you mean just a regular sponge.?
Many thanks

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
And you don't want to end up in a situation where you are stuck on the water with a over-heating engine and find one of those things wrapped with the serpentine belt. :embarassed:

bigtoe

Seaman
I guess ventilation is the requirement and not letting it sit sweating. Not really need the oil absorbing pads more like just water, but I take the point about not letting anything get caught up !