1986 Bayliner with 280 Volvo Penta stern drive

abraxis21468

Recruit
We were given a 1986 Bayliner Capri with a Volvo Penta 280 stern drive. I want to know what the catch for the drive is for? And if someone can show me a picture of how the catch is mounted when the stern drive is in the up position that would be very helpful. I hope someone can please.

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Not a VP guy so not real sure I'm seeing the same part, but the below pick shows a catch holding the drive up.
1catch.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The catch engages when you put it into reverse to keep it from rising out of the water.

abraxis21468

Recruit
Thank you both for the quick response. I think I described the part wrong. When we got home from our day on the lake the stern drive had dropped down and had been dragging. I was looking at a manual that we have and it has a picture of a u shaped bar that looks like it attaches at the bottom below the stern drive but I'm not sure. The picture is not clear and the manual says nothing about it's function. I'm thinking that piece has something to do with holding up the stern drive. Do either of you know what I described.? Thanks again guys!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yes, that u shaped bar is needed to hold the drive up when trailering.