Stupid question concerning the operating temp for my volva aq225e.

joleda

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Stupid question concerning the operating temp for my 1986 Baliner 2150 BR with a Volvo aq225e. After all of the cooling problems with the leaks in the stern drive and frying the water pump. Which I appreciate everyone's feedback. I have fixed everything and water is flowing great now.
My son took it out today and has been running it for over an hour and it hasn't warmed up over 140. Which means the thermostat has never opened. He just texted me and the engine is still cool to the touch. Is this a good thing? Please advise.
Thanks. Dave

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
i would say your thermostat is stuck open. however if you have a 140 degree thermostat, its operating just fine. I personally like a 160 degree, as 140 degrees is a bit cool to run a motor at

joleda

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Brand new 160 thermostat and the gauge and sensors have worked fine before frying the water pump impeller.
Okay another stupid question. Is the stern drive supposed to clunk when going into reverse?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
no, a clunk indicates either low oil, or you have a misadjusted cable.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You may have a chunk of impeller stuck in the bypass port on the thermostat housing and the excess pressure is pushing the thermostat open, happened on mine for a whole season before I got a flexible bit of spring steel and pushed it out.