Cannot find replacement Volvo Penta 4 terminal tilt relay

NB2

Cadet
I have a AQ240 engine with a 280 drive. I need to replace a tilt relay. I have two relays, one is a five terminal and one is a four terminal. I need to replace the four terminal relay. I can find many five terminal replacements online but am having no luck finding the four terminal one. I have searched and contacted tech support at various vendors but am still having no luck. I think I have an early 280 drive unit on my boat. Relay is a 12V 30 amp.

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just use a five terminal, n leave and insulate the spare

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: NB2 to iboats.

If you can either post a picture of the relay your are looking for or know enough about how it is wired, you can replace it with most any type that has the same function and current carrying capability. But then you also have to rewire for whatever relay you select. But some times that is the better way to fix things when replacement parts are not available... JMHO

Reactions: NB2

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its a standard 12 volt, sealed VF4 style relay (probably with diode supression) available nearly anywhere. I buy mine online from either newark or digikey.

the 4-terminal relays simply do not have the NC terminal. in theory, it saved the OEM about $0.10 each.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
its a standard 12 volt, sealed VF4 style relay (probably with diode supression) available nearly anywhere. I buy mine online from either newark or digikey.

the 4-terminal relays simply do not have the NC terminal. in theory, it saved the OEM about $0.10 each.

If I may add one important thing. Be very careful which relay you buy. Even two relays with the exact same layout and size and even looks can be different. I learned that recently the hard way when trouble-shooting my neighbor's RV air conditioning system. He had a suspect bad relay. I had an identical "looking" relay laying around the shop and gave it to him as a replacement. His air conditioner still would turn on and run properly. So with the schematic diagram and a multimeter, I set out to figure out why. And I finally got down to the relay. And it kept puzzling me that the relay was not functioning correctly. And I knew for positive the relay was absolutely good. And finally I remove it and did a serious check against another same looking relay. WALA, two relays with the same looks and pinouts with totally different functions...who would have thought... So just be forewarned. On some of those seemingly simple relays that are available everywhere, the contacts don't function the same way. One has a wiper that makes contact when energized and breaks from the original contact, while the other makes when energized but doesn't break from the original contact thereby having the two contacts connected together at the same time when energized. And this was verified by opening up the relay itself for curiosity. So use a meter to make sure you get what you want...

NB2

Cadet
No Title

Took some photos of the relay today hope that helps with identification. Here they are.

Attachments

• photo229832.jpg
    photo229832.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229833.jpg
    photo229833.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229834.jpg
    photo229834.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229835.jpg
    photo229835.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229836.jpg
    photo229836.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 0

Fun Times

Staff member
NB2 The 4 prong relay is item number 36, Part number 831725....Found one on EBay for you, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Penta-...17a8c0&vxp=mtr

Here is the 5 prong, http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIM-TILT-RE...-/161493364549 ...http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...01832&_sacat=0
imgSymbolDot.gif
Relay
15018321Out of production
imgSymbolDot_blank.gif
(839367)
imgSymbolDot_blank.gif
Replaced by:
imgSymbolDot_blank.gif
Relay kit
imgSymbolDot.gif
Relay
1Out of production
imgSymbolDot_blank.gif
Obsolete part, (831725)
imgSymbolDot.gif
Switch
1Out of production
imgSymbolDot_blank.gif
Obsolete part

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
see post #4.

take a pic of the schematic printed on the relay. it will tell you if it is resistor supressed or diode supressed.