What automotive versions of parts are safe/reasonable? aq131c

CaptainPtbo

Cadet
I know the aq131 is a volvo 2.3 liter out of 85-93 240 volvo 8v non turbo "redblock".

I need the following parts, am I ok using the automotive version?

Oil filter
cap, rotor, points, condenser, coil, plugs, wires
frost plugs (i know they're not "frost plugs ;)
thermostat
belt (not the timing one, the one that runs the alt/waterpump etc.)
exhaust manifold gaskets

bonus question - does it have an oil drain plug on the oil pan or do i need to pump it out?

Thanks folks!

J

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard Capt.

What you need to be concerned about is being safe and not causing damage to the motor. It seems you're aware of that already.

Oil filter - Yep
cap, rotor, points, condenser, coil, plugs, wires - All but the cap if Volvo uses a marine cap - I never owned a V-P..
frost plugs (i know they're not "frost plugs
wink.gif
No steel "casting plugs"
wink.gif

thermostat - Should be marine, especially in salt or brackish water and raw water cooling. I never worked on a V-P.
belt (not the timing one, the one that runs the alt/waterpump etc.) - Yep - a belt is a belt.
exhaust manifold gaskets Only between the block and manifold - No water contact so auto is OK.

bonus question - does it have an oil drain plug on the oil pan or do i need to pump it out? - I'm sure you do, so you can drain or pump - But I never had a V-P.

Hope that helps some until the the guys that really know pop in. :smile: Most your questions are generic in nature, in that any marinized motor uses the same general guidelines. Hope to see you on the water. :D

CaptainPtbo

Cadet
Thanks for the input, and the welcome. I have been reading the forums quite a bit, there's a wealth of information here!

This particular Volvo uses a heat exchanger, so no raw water enters the block or thermostat housing. It would be bathed in coolant only.
So the casting plugs would be ok as well?

Cheers,

J

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Yes the steel plugs would be ok.
But why are they out? They don't need to be changed????

It does have a drain plug.
But it's a real mess trying to drain in the bilge

I'm not sure but the cap and rotor and points may be marine specific.

Most time a good piece of sandpaper is all you need.

The wires can be generic just make sure they are the right size 6 or 7 maybe 8mm???.
Maybe resistor wires?
The OEM wires ain't cheap. Almost $200

Your thermo is a 180d Just make sure it's the same. Volvo $38

CaptainPtbo

Cadet
Thanks Jerry Jerry.

One of the casting plugs from the cooling side exhaust manifold I found in the bilge. I pulled the manifold to inspect it, and another one appears to be leaking. I did a little research and it seems to be a bit of a known issue. Possibly just fell out, possibly not properly winterized. I inspected what I could, and didn't see any other evidence of freezing damage.

The oil pan is pretty accessible right now, with the exhaust manifold off, so I think ill try draining it from the bottom.

As far as the ignition stuff there's no known issue, I'm just trying to give it a "good once over" before I plunk her in the water.

Cheers,

J

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The block wasn't supposed to have water but anti=freeze????

Since the manifolds off, do a flow test.
The manifold should flow as much water out as a hose can produce.
Any signs of back pressure shows a clog.

Any idea how old the manifold is?

I worked on a similar boat.
It was overheating. The owner was convinced the mani was good as it still had shiny paint.

I disconnected the parts and while I was removing it poked a hole in the side(rot)with my finger.