Volvo Penta 4.3 GL no power to fuel pump

thomas320

Recruit
I have a 4.3 GL code 432BPLKD in a 1996 Chris Craft Concept 19. Last weekend we were out on the lake, stopped at a sandbar, when we went to leave we started the boat and went to get underway when the engine quit like it would if out of gas. Only thing is my daughter pulled the lanyard on the kill switch when the boat was off. I since have tested the switch with a multimeter and I have continuity.
I spent some time going through the forum and diagnosing. I found many threads by Don S where he shared a information on jumping around the relay to see if the pump runs.

Where I am now:
On the relay block I have 12V between 87 and 30, I can jumper to the pump and the pump will run.
No voltage between 85-86 with key on, key off, key on and cranking the engine.

Where does the power come from for the start relay power to the block 85?
What I found reading other posts, there is some discussion on a diode, where is that?

I have tested the neutral switch and the kill with, both have continuity.

Where to look next? I don't have a wiring diagram.

Its a great weekend for boating and here I am tracing down electrical problems! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
There are 2 ways, pin 85 gets voltage and both are through diodes. Diodes are buried in the wiring harness.One is from the L2 terminal of the alternator which provides voltage while the engine is running. The other is from the starter solenoid which provides voltage while the engine is cranking.

With the pump running can you start your engine?

Last edited:

thomas320

Recruit
Ok, my bad, picked up another piece from another thread, the starting circuit only supplied power to the pump when the key switch is in the starting position, not run position.
I had power to the pump and confirmed that fuel filter was the failure. Spun on the new filter and the pump was pumping gas when I went to crank the motor. Motor fired after about 20 seconds of cranking.