Volvo Penta 3.0 GSP-A Exhaust Bellows Issue

scion707

Cadet
Hi everyone,

So I have a Volvo Penta 3.0 GSP-A with a Cobra SX drive and my Riser does not align with the exhaust pipe. Never noticed this until one day my motor overheated and caused the bellows to melt and tear. I checked to see if I have the correct riser and a dealership confirmed this and told me that both parts SHOULD align. Has anyone had the same experience or know how to solve this issue. Thanks

scion707

Cadet
Have a picture?
Unfortunately I don't have one at the moment. And I'll be away from home for the next few days. The best way I can explain it is that the riser and exhaust have the correct gap length BUT the riser is a few inches forward(towards the bow) from the exhaust. Tried to move the exhaust with no luck.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Are you the original owner of this boat?

Has motor ever been swapped out?

scion707

Cadet
Are you the original owner of this boat?

Has motor ever been swapped out?

I am not the original owner and not sure if the boat has had a motor swap. Signs shown that it could have because there are some random disconnected wires but that information was never released to me when I purchased the boat. Could the motor not be mounted in the correct location? It did cross my mind to try to move the motor back a few inches. Is that a possible solution?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
No, you can't move the motor.

You see any part numbers on the manifold or riser?

Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral
How far off is it? There is a reason the riser to exhaust joint is a rubber component.

scion707

Cadet
How far off is it? There is a reason the riser to exhaust joint is a rubber component.

Ill take measurements. Should be around an inch. I was under the impression that it was suppose to be aligned:confused:. Both bellows have torn on the rear side

scion707

Cadet
No Title

its 3/4 inches off

Attachments

• photo228957.jpeg
    photo228957.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I look up that riser part number and it says it is for early Volvo 3.0. What year is your engine?

EDIT: That part number for the riser does not match what is supposed to be with your engine if it'a a 3.0GSP-A

Should be 3863071. An older number is 3857798

Your manifold number matches up.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Intak...view_id.767673

Last edited:

scion707

Cadet
I look up that riser part number and it says it is for early Volvo 3.0. What year is your engine?

EDIT: That part number for the riser does not match what is supposed to be with your engine if it'a a 3.0GSP-A

Should be 3863071. An older number is 3857798

Your manifold number matches up.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Intak...view_id.767673
Serial # 4012043714. Database says it's a 1997-2001.

So my riser is causing the issue?

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My suggestion is to take off your riser and take it to a dealer to see if it matches up with the riser in the link I posted.

My bet is someone replaced it with the wrong riser.

scion707

Cadet
My suggestion is to take off your riser and take it to a dealer to see if it matches up with the riser in the link I posted.

My bet is someone replaced it with the wrong riser.

I actually took it in to a dealer and they told me that it's the same. I tried looking up the part number online but couldn't get many results. The only thing I could find was this link to an ebay posting:

scion707

Cadet
Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far Bruceb58 :thumb:. I'm wondering if I'm the only one with this issue and if the bellows will tear again if I install a new one. The first time it happened, it took me 2 hours to get back to the docks on my kicker

Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral
The only reason for failure the first time was lack of cooling water flow, right?

scion707

Cadet
The only reason for failure the first time was lack of cooling water flow, right?
CORRECT. The first TWO times actually. Once I found the overheating issue and got that fixed, I stayed skeptical about the bellows because of how misaligned and stretched it is. Just wondering if there's a way to get it aligned again or if its meant to be that way. Thanks