99 4.3gl will run in start but not the run position?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Did you measure the voltage at it in the run position? In and out?

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1999 4.3gs, probably wired same as yours so I can check some voltages at certain areas if you have specific requests.

Question: what happened just prior to this issue? Did you try and jump start? Did you install some new electronic device?

Did you check all fuses? You said you direct wired fuel pump so when you allow key to go from start to run does the pump stay running? All wires tight and not corroded on alternator and distributor?

Did you try to direct wire coil with on/off switch just to see if it stays running?

Did you check your low oil sensor if your engine has one it might be stuck open and not closing to allow current to flow through... Just throwing random thoughts out.

If you disconnect your kill lanyard does the engine still start in crank position?

jrluhm

Seaman Apprentice
OK I've checked the power to and from safety switch. It's all good until u actually start and run the motor then both sides only read 3 volts. It's like it's a direct short of some kind. The boat does run like its supposed to with the coil directly hooked up to power. I have not checked the low oil switch. Didn't even know it had one. Where is it located and I'll check. I've done nothing prior to this happening. Took it out one day and ran great. Took it out 2 months later and it wouldn't start and been fighting it since. I have had it out a couple times but now it's completely stopped running

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You have a voltage drop(high resistance) between the battery and your ignition switch somewhere. The most likely spot is where all the cables attach at the starter. Take them all off and clean them with sand paper until they are shiny clean metal.

There is no low oil sensor.

When it was running, did you ever have problems with the engine dying when you trimmed the engine? That is also a sign of a high resistance connection down at the starter.

Last edited:

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry about the low oil switch comment, my mercruiser engines had them so was just a random thought. Glad to hear your getting closer to figuring it out. Good luck.

jrluhm

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks everyone. I will check the wires at starter. I have not had any issues at all till now. That's y it's do frustrating