1999 5.0GI running rich, exhaust smoke and soot, TBI question

firebird1158

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Plugs looked fine, it's a cheap compression tester, thinking it may be off a little but it was consistant

firebird1158

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Very likely. With a table spoon of oil in the cylinder sitting for few minutes you should have gained more that just 5 psi. If it does leak by the cylinder it has to be either an intake or exhaust valve.

I would try a good cleaning first before pulling the head.

What would you do to give it a good cleaning? I put a bottle of seafoam in it the other day and ran it on plane for a while...

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
A bottle of seafoam in gas would help keeping it clean and would require more than just a run on plane for a while to perform some cleaning. I was referring to a good intake cleaning. See seafoam spray for example:

http://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-spray

firebird1158

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So as it was end of season last year since I last replied, Here is an update... I ended up pulling the head and had tested and it was a mushroomed or sucked up exhaust valve that was the problem... motor is practically brand new so wondering how this happened... So it's back on and my compression is now 180 on all cylinders but it is still running very rich and I am still growing oil with fuel in it.... It is obviously running rich but would this let that much fuel into the oil? My vacuum is low now around 10 and thinking maybe I didn't get the intake fully sealed when putting the head back on?? Thanks for any insight into this