2005 Volvo Penta GXi-e EFI Fuel Pump

AZ Boat Guy

Cadet
I have a 2005 Reinell 217BR and am having starting issues. The engine will start then die, very repeatable. It will run for a second or two then die. I can get it to run by manipulating the throttle but it backfires and over revs. I am thinking fuel pump. The pressure at the rail is 14psi after about three primes. This seems low to me. This fuel pump is very pricey. Is it possible to buy a low pressure or high pressure pump for this engine or do I have to buy the whole assembly? I have checked the regulator and it looks okay ( a little film but nothing unusual, wiped right off). The check valve was as clean as a whistle. Any ideas or suggestions would really be appreciated!

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 2005 Reinell 217BR and am having starting issues. The engine will start then die, very repeatable. It will run for a second or two then die. I can get it to run by manipulating the throttle but it backfires and over revs. I am thinking fuel pump. The pressure at the rail is 14psi after about three primes. This seems low to me. This fuel pump is very pricey. Is it possible to buy a low pressure or high pressure pump for this engine or do I have to buy the whole assembly? I have checked the regulator and it looks okay ( a little film but nothing unusual, wiped right off). The check valve was as clean as a whistle. Any ideas or suggestions would really be appreciated!

Howdy and :welcome:

Only 14psi is low, it's a wonder it will start. With pressure that low its either the fuel pressure regulator or the pump, my guess would be the pump. If you block off the return line and if the pressure comes up its the regulator.

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7744400-23-6652.aspx

Thalasso

Commander
Don't check it at the fuel rail. Check the pressure at the pump individually. 14 on the low side isn't bad bad. Bad pressure for the high side. This way you will know where to start looking. Could be the regulator and not the pump.The high side pump can be bought separately as the low side cannot.
My low side went bad last year. Showed 8lbs and still would idle but when trying to throttle up it just backfired. No problems yet for the other engine.

Which engine do you have? 5.0 5.7 or 8.1
The latter will b e expensive. bought the one for the 5.0 complete for $600.00 last year

Last edited:

AZ Boat Guy

Cadet
I have the 5.0 gxi-e. I took the regulator out and it had a little gunk on the screen but nothing really bad. I have been told that it is better to replace the whole fuel pump assy rather than just the high side because it will just be a matter of time before it fails again. I know where to check the low side where the Schrader valve is but where can I check the high pressure side other than at the rail where the other Schrader valve is? Where did you find a complete pump assy for $600? Thanks in advance!

Thalasso

Commander
I have the 5.0 gxi-e. I took the regulator out and it had a little gunk on the screen but nothing really bad. I have been told that it is better to replace the whole fuel pump assy rather than just the high side because it will just be a matter of time before it fails again. I know where to check the low side where the Schrader valve is but where can I check the high pressure side other than at the rail where the other Schrader valve is? Where did you find a complete pump assy for $600? Thanks in advance!

If i remember right it was www.michiganmotorz.com

Thalasso

Commander
[h=1]E-Bay
NEW Volvo Penta Electric Fuel Pump Assembly 3861355 21608511[/h] US $650.00

Binford

Cadet
What does one need to test to know to purchase this fuel pump assembly?

Binford

Cadet
Continuing on the topic of these Volvo Penta fuel pumps....

What does one need to test to know to purchase this fuel pump assembly?

I tested the fuel pressure today. It jumped right up to 50 psi when the key was turned on; held at 48 or 49 after the key had been off a minute or so; and was also right at 50 psi with the engine running on the hose.

Last weekend I'd heard what sounded like the fuel pump squealing. Is this sort of intermittent issue common with these?

BTW, mine is a 5.0 GXi-D from 2003.

AZ Boat Guy

Cadet
My $650 bid turned into $835 but oh well I needed it. Will it hurt my new fuel pump if I prime it dry by turning the key on and off several times before I start it or is there another way to prime it?

AZ Boat Guy

Cadet
I primed it by turning the key on and off several times until I got all the air out of the rail Schrader valve and then she fired right up. Ready for a lake test now. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you still have the old pump take it apart and look for paint chips in the pump filter screens. My 07 5.7 GXi started bogging down over 2K RPM's and would just stop, but start up like nothing happened, including the whine of the HP pump. I took the fuel cell apart and found paint chips, so I scraped the inside and wiped it down. I had it out on Sunday and it ran fine. Was your pump hot while running? I have read the manifold can clog the water cooler and the pump will overheat. That's my next step while winterizing.

AZ Boat Guy

Cadet
I did keep the old pump. I haven't taken it apart but I plan to. I also read about paint chips and will look for those. The boat ran fine at the lake. Plenty of power at all power settings.