Volvo 350 seized

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
Ahh yeah i see it now. It has a 290 transom shield. With out better pics its pretty hard to tell anything else though.

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hmm. i had a mechanic from a local marina come out at the end of the season to see if the outdrive seemed ok and they were referring to it as a 280? in any event...I guess what I was asking is if it matters what car/truck I pull the donor engine from. Seems like that engine was in tons of cars and I don't know if there is something better or worse I should be looking for (i.e. is the 350 out of a buick going to be the same as one out of a suburban?). i'm having trouble finding a list of all the trucks that used a 350 in 87-97...

Bondo

Staff member
i'm having trouble finding a list of all the trucks that used a 350 in 87-97...

Ayuh,..... 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 'n 1 ton Chevy, 'n GMC pickups, vans, 'n cab, 'n chassis, built 'tween 87, 'n 95,....

The heads changed in '96, which is when the Vortecs came out,....

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm slow to find a 350 in the '87-'91 range but can find newer ones. Auto mechanic friends
Are telling me it doesn't matter. Any reason using a newer (like '96+) will not work? Will the marinized parts off my current engine not swap over? Problem with mating it to the 280 outdrive?

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So if I take the flywheel from my old one and all the marinized parts they should fit on any 350? Mating it to the outdrive will be no problem?

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
I dunno. At some point GM changed the bolt pattern on the crankshaft for the flywheel

Maclin

Admiral
You need the flywheel stuff to match the new engine, from a newer boat's driveline.

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks like my donor engine options are something in the
Same vintage (87-91) with 180k+ miles on it or a 97 with vortex heads with (supposedly) 90k miles on it. Since I'm very new to all this I'm thinking the older engine will be simpler...and even though it may sh*t the bed sooner at least it will be a good learning experience

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Or a 305 of the same vintage with 33k miles on it (but not sure if the 305 is interchangeable)

Bondo

Staff member
(but not sure if the 305 is interchangeable)

Ayuh,... Externally, the 305 is exactly the same as a 350, from year to year,...

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
87 and later chev V8's use a different flywheel than 87 and earlier. The pre 87 engines have a 2 piece rear main seal and the later 87's and up have a 1 piece rear main seal. 1 piece rear main seal engines are easy to ID, the rear seal is exposed on the back of the engine. If you have to purchase a new flywheel you will want 1 with the same tooth count and diameter, as the original. Bellhousing bolt patterns should be the same on 1piece & 2 piece main seal chev motors.

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
Here is where you will find your flywheel for either early or late 5.0-5.7
http://www.michiganmotorz.com/marine-parts-accessories-flywheels-c-32_44.html

If your going to run a truck long block in brackish water you will need brass freeze plugs, 140 degree thermostat, Marine head gaskets.
The truck cam shaft may work but there is going to be a chance of Revision= Engine sucking in water through the exhaust. So i would suggest a new marine camshaft also.

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
what is the 'windage tray'. i know that is something that is supposed to get swapped from my current engine onto the truck block but don't know what it is. thanks

Maclin

Admiral
Windage tray is between the block and the oil pan. Purpose is to deflect turbulance generated at higher rpm's from the crankshaft to keep oil less likely to foam.

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
just wanted to let you know that after a MAJOR learning curve and lots of internet research and help from old friends as well as new friends i met along the way i end ed up swapping the engine with a truck block and took it for its first test spin this weekend. the old block was definitely seized up with rust once i had it taken apart and could see inside. thanks for everyone from this forum who helped out along the way. was a long journey...