4.3gl pefs cranking but not firing

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yesterday the boat ran like a top. Today after the storm I cranked it over but it did not even try to fire, it cranked and cranked. I pulled a couple plugs to check for spark, it was there. I pulled the fuel line off the carb and turned it over and fuel came out. Checked the safety switch, beeps with the lanyard clipped in and key on, with it removed, no beeping with key on. I'm stumped from here. Pump the throttle and a healthy squirt of fuel shoots down the throat. Any suggestions? Thanks.

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class
Update. Fuel pump does not come on when key is turned. When it cranks it pumps fuel

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class
Tried starting fluid. No dice. Cranks but not even a gulp.

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class
Checked the fuel pump, it gets power 12volrs when cranking, NOT when key is turned to prime briefly. Could the problem be the starter relay??

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, I checked for spark. It is there on all 6 cylinders. 123 and for have 185psi compression, 5 and 6 have 180. I have fuel. So the 3 things needed are there. My only thought is the spark is not there when it needs to be. Anyone????

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... What ignition did Volvo put on yer motor,..??

Put a timin' light on it, 'n see if it's in time,....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Check your distributor for moisture especially since you said this started happening after a storm.

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class
The distributor is dry. As for what ignition syatem vp put in, good question. I honestly do not know which is which. The coil has four wires. + and - and 2 going to the distributor + the plug wire going to the dist. How can I put a timing light to it when it does not run? It was dry under there. What would cause the timing to change so drastically overnight?? That is the big question. I finally broke and brought it in to my buddy's marina.

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good question Bondo. I do not know what system is on it. It has the + and - going to the coil and 2 wires going into the ignition module on the distributor under the cap. If that helps. How would I try to time it when it does not run?? The distributor cap was dry, no moisture under there. The ignition module failing would just put it into base timing mode would it not?? This has me stumped. The three things needed for it to run are there. I broke today and brought into my buddy's marina. It has to be something with the distributor and I am not comfortable pulling it apart to test the components.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
How can I put a timing light to it when it does not run?

Ayuh,..... Even on the starter, the light flashes at the spark,...

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bondo, here is the million dollar question, What would cause the timing to change that much overnight that the engine does not so much as sputter or even spit??

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class
If it jumped a tooth or two on the timing chain, the compression figures would be off if I understand my basics correctly. Been a while since I did a comp test. My old SUN timing light is on the fritz so I could not check tye timing anyways.

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class
Delco EST distributor. Looking at one of Don's old stickies and figured it out.

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class
Chalk it up to a bad cap or bad rotor. Which is kinda dumb seeing as how I replaced the cap and rotor in May and the boat has MAYBE 10hrs on it since then. The distributor and coil checked out so its either or. Should be back in the water tomorrow afternoon.

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class
Took it into the shop yesterday. The mechanic tested the coil and it checked out. It was throwing a healthy spark. But the spark was not travelling to the plugs well, it was intermittent at best and weak. So, either the cap or rotor is pooched which is burning my butt cuz they are new!!

Bondo

Staff member
So, either the cap or rotor is pooched which is burning my butt cuz they are new!!

Ayuh,.... Rotor, cap, Wires, 'n Plugs are 'tween the coil's tower, 'n ground,.....

Meter the wires,...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I said it before in post #7 and I will say it again. Sounds like a moisture issue. Caps/rotors just don't go bad overnight.

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class
New cap and rotor, now it's running just fine. I'm really PO'd, caps and rotors are nit supposed to go bad overnight, mine did. I am going to see which crapped out on me. Figures, I use genuine VP parts and they turn out to be faulty. Regardless, heading over to pick up the boat and pay the bill. VP will hear about this.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You are right...they don't go bad overnight....moisture issue.

Next time this happens, get a hairdryer, remove the cap and dry everything out.