Volvo trim sender repair

63A

Cadet
I replaced the trim sender a few years ago on my 02 Crownline 239/5.7 GSI/DP and now my trim gauge is working intermittently again. Not dead yet but headed that way. Has anyone taken a sending unit apart to see if it can be cleaned or fixed versus buying another new sender?

Anybody have a defective sender they are willing to part with? I can't find the one I removed but I've moved since then so that is no surprise. It would be nice to experiment with another sender on the workbench versus the one in my boat. Shoot me a PM if you have one.

Thanks

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've taken mine apart and all it is is a potentiometer encased in a rubber housing - nothing serviceable that I could find. I've got mine sitting on the bench now with a replacement case made of epoxy - some saturday when I have absolutely nothing else to do I'll reinstall it! :D
Sounds like you have a broken wire somewhere. If you want to rule out the sending unit, try disconnecting the leads from the gauge, connect an Ohm meter to the leads, then run your lower unit up and down checking to see if the resistance changes. I'm not sure what the correct appropriate range should be, much less what it would be adding in over 40 feet of wire, however if you get a consistent and adjustable range I'd say the sending unit might be good. I get a range of 0 to 601 ohms on mine.
Mine had broken wires feeding right out of the sending unit itself- might start checking there

Last edited:

63A

Cadet
I did a visual check of the wires but will check with an ohmmeter to verify. Since it is intermittent it could be a broken wire that is making contact some of the time.