Running the boat with the motor trimmed up or down

Burns363R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How far is to far? Running the motor trimmed all the way down, say for rough water, is this hard on anything? What about trimming up, can i hurt anything going up to far and running it? I know if you trim up to far up, the prop will blow out and loose bite. Right now my trim gauge isnt working and i just wanted to get a handle on this particular unit.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Trim all the way down when getting out of the hole and trim up a bit at a time till you start porpoising and trim down till it stops when you start porpoising your trimmed to high

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Posting the boat and size and equipment will help.
A small boat/ big boat?
If it has trim tabs? That will also affect the handling underway?

Burns363R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks,

I know how to trim my boat to make it as efficiant as possible, im more worried about damage to the u joints.

Its a 22' Celebrity. No trim tabs, 5.8l Volvo Penta Dual Prop.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It is designed to run full down, that's where you'll get the most hole shot power. Once on plane, trimming up a bit will be more efficient. Without a trim gauge, look behind you at the spray coming from the sides of the drive. Trim up until that spray disappears and you'll be in the ballpark. Hint: it's not very much trim. This is the "trim" range.

There's a range of trim higher than you use for normal cruising, called the "beach range". This range is used while slow idling around shallow water and near ramps. You should not go above about 1000rpm while in this medium trim range.

The highest trim range, called "lift range" is for pulling the boat out of the water on the trailer, and the engine should never be running while the trim is this far up because it can cause damage to the u-joints. Having said that, I've forgotten to trim down a few times on the trailer before starting the engine. The u-joints rubbing on each other makes a very obvious, slightly scary noise. You'll notice when you do it.

Without a working trim gauge, it will be hard to pinpoint each of these ranges. You'll just have to go off of sound and performance until you get a feel for it.

There's a few different models of the 5.8FL that could be in your boat, so I can't point you exactly to your user's manual without knowing the full model number. But if you type in "5.8FL" in the "engine type" box it'll give you a few options down below with a free owner's manual. That manuals talks about the trim ranges.

http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopent...lication_search/Pages/publication_search.aspx

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I trim mine to maximize fuel economy with my fuel flow meter. On my boat it is always down from the porpoising stage but every boat is different.

Burns363R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So i shouldnt keep trimming up untill the boat doesnt gain any speed? In my past experiance, when in good water, i could keep trimming up slowly and the boat would go faster and faster to a point. Then you would start to feel the boat loose speed or blow out. I always took that as the usable range. But your saying that i may be trimming up to high?

Or is the beach range higher than what the boat will be able to use at speed?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Every boat is different. Trimming up for max speed is a good way to do it.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Or is the beach range higher than what the boat will be able to use at speed?

Generally (not always) yes, the beach range is not usable at speed. That is usually where you notice prop slippage or (blow out)