Volvo Penta DP-C1 Maintenance help

Burns363R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So what on these units needs to be replaced or lubed besides the lower unit oil.

I'm told they do not have a gimble bearing that would typically be replaced. Are the OEM U joints grease able or sealed? What other bearings need or should be replaced?

I had the boat out the other day for the first time, and ever once in awhile i would feel a shudder. The unit ran really smooth other wise and i really liked it. The shudder very possibly could have just been the water against the boat, but it got me wondering what all i need to be inspecting and replacing.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Chances are the u-joints are greaseable. Seems Volvo went to non-serviceable u-joints later in the 2000s. Pull the drive and check that they spin freely with no hesitation, rust, binding, etc. You'll see grease zerks if they are of the serviceable type. Make sure the u-joints bellows is free of water and gear oil. If the bellows is more than a few years old (or you don't know how long they've been on there) it's best to change them out with new OEM ones. If you get a leak there, you'll be doing a lot more work later on when you realize it. Check the alignment of the engine coupler with an alignment tool (quite a few options on ebay for pretty cheap) and put some grease on the drive shaft splines before reinstalling the drive.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
First off the DP-C1 is a good drive.
These U joints do not wear or load like automotive u joints and many guys say greasing them does no good.
If you do not know he age or history of your u joints I would replace them.
When you have the drive off check the primary drive shaft, see if it moves, has side play. If it does you need to replace
the primary drive shaft (PDS) bearing or bearings, depending on if you have a 1 or 2 bearing PDS.
When you store the boat for ,,,say the winter, change the oil in the drive , or at least look at the oil and make sure there is
no water mixed in with it. Storing your drive with a "milkskake" in it can get expensive.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer
First ..... As K-2 mention this is a GREAT drive. Would not replace it with the latest greatest drive Volvo now has to offer.

Here is what I personally would check on....

Duo props need to be perfect with no chips and properly balanced or YES, you will get vibration mostly on hard turns. You do not know how many people I ask how their props are and they reply perfect. I get a picture and they have MANY flaws in them

Now next thing would be to replace the drive bellow every 3 years. 4 Max. They are cheap ($35) and very easy to change (remove upper). With this said I would look for any signs of water intrusion into the old bellow. (Rusty U/J's and PDS) You want to see expensive???? Drive around with water in the drive bellow.

The PDS bearings in the C1 are sealed and there is a transom seal protecting it from water intrusion into the bearing cavity.

ONLY use fully synthetic 75w90 gear lube. (2.7 liters or 2.8 U.S quarts)

No alignment needed on the AQ series drives as there is no gimbel

Burns363R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the help guys. Im going to change the bellows and what not this winter for sure along with the worn bushings in the steering system.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you replace the steering bushings, the whole outdrive needs to come off, not just the upper half.

If you replace the u-joints, get a complete upper seal kit, new crush washer, and new input thrust washer. Make sure to use the factory Volvo manual

Burns363R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will probably pay someone to do all this when they winterize it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Be prepared to be shocked when you get the bill