2002 Volvo Penta 5.0 GL-A sea water cooled

Db27513

Recruit
Hello - Ijust acquired this boat (Four Winns Horizon 190) with the above mentoned engine. When I start it up with the ear muffs water, the water exits the engine not through the out srive, but through a hole on the right side (facing the engine) just underneath the forward engine moiunt. Is this a blown freeze plug? I dont have any history or know if it wasnt winterized properly..  But Im sure this isnt how it is supposed to run (im a little unfamilar with gas inboards with out drives)

Thanks in advance
Dave aboard Sugar Too

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Use a mobile phone to take a picture, but does not sound good. Try referring to locations using port and starboard, it is easier to understand.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
without pictures, I can only assum the block drain plugs are still out. I would also guess the manifold plugs are out as well.

I own a 2004 190 Horizon Four Winns, 5.0 GLE and I just started flushing it with a garden hose connection from the starboard side, front of the engine mount and water goes out to the outboard. I used to flush it with ear muffs like what you are trying to do. Anyway, if you have the same system, the water coming out from your engine is probably the hose connection not plugged or it is a broken connection. If that's what it is, you either plug it or if you want to use it, install a hose connection for flushing instead of an ear muff.

Db27513

Recruit
Alflores - very interesting!! I think I do have that hose connection on the starboard side, so maybe there is equivalent on the port side. Will dig in and report back, hopefully with pics.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There is no equivalent hose on the port side. Also, the GL-E engine has a different flushing system than the GL-A engine had.

Water should not exit the engine anywhere in the engine compartment. It would be easiest if we saw the area where your leak is coming from. On both sides of the 5.0 there are block drain plugs down low on the engine about halfway towards the engine rear. They should be plugged. But if your leak is forward of the front engine mount this isn't the same location.