95 VP 5.0 phue???

tramac

Recruit
Hi Guys n Gals, I have a few questions concerning my 5.0 FL. Most of my ?'s have been answered by reading some old topics, but bouncing from page to page makes me dizzy. #1 the L in FL supposedly means limited, what makes this engine limited? carb, intake, cam, etc...#2 Also read somewhere this is a 302 with 351 cam and crank and maybe heads, anyone know for sure? #3 will swapping intake and carb from 2bl to 4bl do anything for fuel economy? A friend has the same engine the only diff is carb and intake, his mileage is almost double, we can follow each other 30 miles off shore and back, same speed, sea conditions, etc, and it cost me more at the pump. Any insight would be appreciated, Thanks

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer
I've got a phue. FL means Ford, Limited output (carburetted)

That 5.0 is a HO engine. It has the 351 heads to let it breathe better. The firing order is the same as the 351 (not like other 302's) so the crank and cam being 351 makes sense.

Fuel consumption on 4 barrel, supposedly it will burn less fuel if you keep out of the secondaries. The jets in the primaries are smaller in the 4 barrel vs the 2 barrel, so with the throttles in the same position on the same boat (unless wide open), you run slower and with less fuel. If you are running the same boat, and the same speed, I would think the consumption would be the same with either carb (unless wide open). That is if both carbs are working efficiently. I understand that you are not seeing the same fuel consumption, but I wouldn''t think that it would be the carb doing that, unless one isn't tuned correctly.

tramac

Recruit
thanks for the response, I think ill start with having the carb tuned and go up 2'' on my pitch, and see if that gets me where I want to be. A bit cheaper than dropping 800 on a carb and intake