1986 Bayliner 1950 Capri 305 Engine

macrae

Cadet
My boat has a 305 GMC engine with a 275 Volva Penta Outdrive. You initially launch the boat and it will idle, not good but it will idle. Take a couple of trips as around the lake and pull it back to idle it quits. In order to get it going, I have to take it out of gear, rev it up and pull it back and get it into gear quickly. Sometimes I have to do it several times to catch it. I am thinking carburation at this point. Has anybody had this problem? Any suggestions on my next step? My local Boat Dealer (Colorado Boat Center)and a certified Bayliner service dealer will not work on my boat because he said it is too old. I couldn't believe it. The boat is in top notch shape (body & engine) and runs great after you get it out of the idle position. I have been pulling my grandson wakeboarding with no problems at speed. Thanks

Alan Lloys

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hmm - too old ??!!

I guess I shouldn't worry about my 1985 Bayliner Ciera then.

It definitely sounds like carburetor or timing issues.
If the engine otherwise seems to work good try to just turn the idle setting screw to make sure idle is around 700 RPM.

I just had to set up my 350 Volvo engine which is basically identical so please let us know what you have done so far and we will try and guide you through it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like a carb rebuild is needed.
The boat have a tach? What's the rpm's in N ?
Check the gas for water???

macrae

Cadet
I just heard from the Boat dealers on parts that I ordered: Points, Condenser, rotor & cap. The parts are no longer available from Bayliner. Does anybody know where I can get parts? I did get the rebuild kit for the carb from NAPA.

macrae

Cadet
Installed new plugs, points, condenser and rotor. Also installed a rebuilt carb (had them put in high altitude jets since I live at altitude), same as the old model. Started it up on the driveway, adjusted the idle a little bit to about 700 RPM. It idled like it is supposed to do. I put it in gear and it did not stall out. I went to the lake yesterday and it all ran great. One issue I have is that I smelled fuel when starting up and when I brought the boat to neutral after a wakeboard run. Do the mixture screws need adjusted? I checked for fuel leaks and found none. Also, when I shut it down to pick up the wake boarder, I had to pump it to start. This happened most of the time after a shutdown. Any explaination for this issue? I also noticed that when I pushed the throttle forward to get the skier up the engine would sputter, I have no reason for this either. I will say that I am happy to make the progress on the idle issue.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
First thing I'd do is make sure the carb is buttoned down tight.