Impeller water pump

Tretatt

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Volvo Penta 4.3GL inboard outboard boat engine. I was on the lake and my motor started to get hot; around 200 degrees. I stopped the boat and put the blower on for about 10 minutes. Started it back up again and started going. The temp came up to about 200-210 and I shut it down. I think the hottest it got was 225. Is this too hot, and is my impellar bad? If I replace the impellar, do I have to relocate the raw water pump? The pump was not leaking at all. And if I do have to replace the impellar, how to I flush the engine so not if the impellar parts are stuck in the motor or stuck against the thermostat. I am a new boat owner. Please any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
First, yes, replace the impeller. On volvos its quite easy.

If you find missing pieces, pull the line from the thermostat housing to raw water pump and backfluss. You may have to take your thermostat housing off. Replace that line.

Pull the line that comes from the water pickup and backflush with a garden hose. Then replace that connection

Tretatt

Seaman Apprentice
Scott Danforth. I am new to this boat thing. Where is the thermostat? And is the raw water pump right behind the impellar? I have some pics if the engine if u could help me point them out. Let me know... thank you!!!

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thermostat could be sticking as well. Replace that too, as it is a cheap fix. Impellar and thermostat should be replaced, make sure your water pick up screen is clear as well.

Tretatt

Seaman Apprentice
Scott Danforth. I finally fixed my impellar and found pieces of the impellar stuck in one of the ports of the thermostat housing. I pulled them out and now I have replaced my thermostat as well. You talked about back flushing. I'm confused...how do I do this?

mr_carman007

Seaman Apprentice
Follow the hoses from the impeller up to the top of the engine, pull the hoses off and put pressure threw them with a garden hose to remove any impeller pieces that may be lodged in there.