Ran out of gas won't start...HELP PLZ!

Zerbel04

Seaman
Ran my boat out of gas just as we pulled into the marina tonight. Then broke a paddle on our way in and lost the gas cap in the water when refueling just to make things interesting. Anyway put 50L of fuel in and can't get it started. Battery is fine and engine is cranking just won't fire up. It was dark out when we got in tonight but was thinking of popping off the carb cover tomorrow and making sure gas is pumping into chamber when applying a throttle pump. Also maybe checking/filling/replacing the fuel separator. Any other suggestions? 3 days left of vacation would love to get it going again. Thanks!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Sometimes it takes a long time to get gas up to the carb. You can bypass the fuel pump relay to turn on the pump to prime the system first. You can also pour a couple ounces of fuel into the carb and start the engine. Once it dies, do it again. Repeat until the engine stays running.

For the fuel pump relay, jump pins 30 to 87.

Prefilling a filter will definitely help a lot.

Last edited:

Zerbel04

Seaman
Thanks for the fast response much appreciated! The bypass is beyond my expertise however priming the carb and filling the filter I can handle. Those are the first things I will try tomorrow morning.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
And put the flame arrestor on securely before touching the key. A backfire is not unusual after priming the carb and if any gas was spilled, well, listen to BRICH.

Zerbel04

Seaman
Ok so I checked the separator and it was full of gas. Popped open the carb and gas is being pumped in there when I apply the throttle. Still won't fire. However when I override the shift and apply throttle it will fire and stay running. The minute I put it back in neutral it dies and won't fire.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Do you have a deadman switch?
He says it stays running with advanced throttle.

What is the choke doing during all of this time? What happens when the engine is allowed to warm up? This a new thing that is happening now that you ran out of gas?

Zerbel04

Seaman
Got it. Changed out the fuel separator and it runs like a champ again. Must have picked up some crap from bottom of tank when it ran dry. Thanks for all the advice everyone