95 Volvo Penta starter problems I think.

Tileman2

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I have a 95 Volvo Penta 5.0 fuel injected motor. It runs like a charm, when I can get it running. New battery, always went click-click - click a few times before starting, but it starts immediately when it does turnover. It sounds like a starter issue, but I was just wondering if there was something else, or many things it could be ?
Thank you

alldodge

Staff member
Hi, I have a 95 Volvo Penta 5.0 fuel injected motor. It runs like a charm, when I can get it running. New battery, always went click-click - click a few times before starting, but it starts immediately when it does turnover. It sounds like a starter issue, but I was just wondering if there was something else, or many things it could be ?
Thank you

Mercs use what's called a slave solenoid and Volvo's use a start relay, they both do the same thing. The key is turned to start, and instead of the key switch supplying power to the starter solenoid, the key supplies power to a relay/solenoid. The relay/solenoid then supplies power from a higher amperage circuitt to the starter solenoid. Check your start relay this is more then likely your issue, either that or corrosion on the connections.