1951-52 elgin 5 hp

jiw1

Recruit
i have a elgin 5 hp model #571-58561 put a new impeller in but engine overheats and stops.no water comes out of the coolant flow indicator. can't seem to find a water flow diagram on the net.there is a solid gasket between power head and water flow indicator.where does the cooling enter and where does it pass through the system then exit?i have been looking for this info for days on the net,if there is a blockage where would i look first? don't want to take anything apart unless i know what to do.thank you,john

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Are you sure the bronze water pump cartridge isn't distorted? Pretty common.

jiw1

Recruit
f r,thank you for responding. with the little i know about these from what i can see the cartridge looks good and the impeller fits snug against the walls.if there is something i should be looking for please advise me.thanks again,john

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Corrosion would sometimes build up between the bronze cartridge and aluminum housing, making the bronze bulge inward (toward the impeller cavity). Not to be confused with the normal shape that causes it to work. We saw a LOT of it here from salt water, but it can happen in fresh water too.

If that isn't the problem, it may have chunks of an old impeller stuck somewhere in the cooling system. Sorry, my memory isn't quite that good enough to tell you where to look first.