PLEASE READ! K700 Sea King (Clinton). Neutral problem and info for ORIGINAL parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony0711

Cadet
I have a Clinton built Sea King K700-2107A Serial # 643121 Type No. 6027370R. My g/f's dad gave it to me since it wasn't being used and we just put a new water pump impeller and housing in it. Runs like a dream since he cleaned it all up years ago when he quit running it. He could not find the parts for it and searched a long time and then gave up. I found the parts for it right away because I found out that Clinton Engine Products is still being operated in Maquoketa, Iowa and I am from Iowa not too far away from there. I found the number and called and sure enough got an answer and ordered the original owner's manual with parts listings and diagrams. Then I ordered the water pump impeller and housing for it which were very inexpensive. I think it's an older man that is still operating the warehouse that it still stock piled with brand new parts that were never used. I say this because when the impeller housing arrive it was the casting and we just had to file the bottom a little for it to fit the housing plate properly like it hadn't been machined completely. Little work for not having to pay an arm and a leg. The phone number is 1-563-652-2411. I am telling everyone this because it seems I stumbled upon something amazing since noone can find parts for these things. Here is what I ask in return. When in neutral the prop still spins making me go forward but it does not let you go into high speed. When I shift into forward the high speed unlocks and I can then open it up all the way. How do I fix the neutral so the prop doesn't spin at all until I shift into forward? I know neutral should be completely neutral because the manual says so. Please help me fix this and I hope I have helped a lot of people get original parts they want.

Anthony0711

Cadet
Do you know the proper way to adjust it? Or is there another thread about it here? I couldn't find one. It looks like the rod goes up into the housing of the rope. I guess I don't understand why the prop spins yet the rev limiter works properly. It's like it knows it's in neutral but doesn't know at the same time lol

Last edited:

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'd say your clutch spring is broken and it's not disengaging. I had to do away with the neutral on mine, and just start it in gear.

Not sure if you can get it or not. Also, if you have it apart, check the lower engine seal. If these go out, it will cause an air leak and seize the motor. Not sure if you can get these either.

Will have to call that number sometime and see. I have a copy of the original service manual, but it's all crooked and out of order. I need to take it in to staples or such and see if they can fix it and copy it for me.

I had a picture of the clutch spring, I'll see if I can find it.

Anthony0711

Cadet
Thanks alot I'll check into it and yeah if you find that pic that'd be great. The guy told me on the phone they had all the parts so if I needed one to just mail them an invoice of what I'd need and he'd send it to me with a bill so that's what I did with the owner's manual and when I ordered the impeller and housing.

Anthony0711

Cadet
Hey you don't happen to have that repair manual in PDF format still do you? I left a voicemial for it when I called Clinton but I remember I had to call a couple times when I got the owner's manual and the water pump impeller and housing from them before they got back to me. I'd appreciate it a ton if you could send me a copy.

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry, I don't. I have a couple of the pages copied, like some of the torque specs and the parts diagrams. I'll try and see if I can get it copied and pdf'd.

Anything specific you need that I can look up maybe?

ETA, I may have it in pdf thinking about it. I'll look this weekend.

Last edited:

Anthony0711

Cadet
I'm looking at fixing the clutch so the prop won't spin when in neutral. It quit running the other day and I took it apart and saw the coil came separated from the wire (from before I got it and before my gf's dad got it, it must have broke and the owner put dielectric grease on it and shoved in back in the coil with no adhesive to keep it in there) so I ordered a new coil for it and I figured if I'm ever going to fix the clutch it might as well be now while I've got it apart at least this far. Don't want to put it back together and then take it apart again if I don't have to. I'm going to call Clinton again tomorrow and leave another message about getting the manual. Anything you can find I really appreciate it! Thanks again.

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was unable to find it. I'll look into getting my hard copy manual copied and hopefully it can be put into a pdf format.

I do have a couple of helpful pages scanned, like parts diagrams, engine information and torque specs. I can email those if needed.

Anthony0711

Cadet
That would be great and I appreciate it alot! I'm also looking to put a 3 fin prop on it instead of the OE 2 fin prop. Do you know of anywhere I can get one or is there a thread on here you can point me to? I've been looking and haven't found anything yet. Also looking for a thread that maybe someone might have an idea on how to muffle the sound a little more on the motor as well.

Last edited:

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yea, they aren't the quietest motors around. I was so surprised by how much quieter and smoother my Gale/Evinrude 5hp is.

Not sure how to muffle it, unless it would be some high heat resistant sheet insulation of some sorts around the inside of the cowling cover. Just the nature of the beast I believe.

Hmm, not sure about the prop either, I've always seen them with the two bladed ones, will have to defer to someone else for that one.

oldoutboardfan

Recruit
I joined this forum last evening and I find it extremely helpful. Thanks for your willingness to share. I have a Clinton J9 Chief (1959) 5 HP and a Sea King K700 (1973) 7 HP. I look forward to restoring these engines to good running condition, thanks especially to iboats and you all!

Arronh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I’m looking for a parts manual for this and an oil seal in case anyone knows where to find them. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.