Eska 7.5 84 running poorly

brsoo

Seaman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOKEsBA8Nfk

so i have a 84 eska 7.5hp on my water tender. i bought it with no spark and eventually noticed the points were grounding the set screw while opened. i bent it with n nose pliers and now it runs. i cleaned the carb. re-gapped the points to .02 and plug to .03 but thats how it runs. its spitting gas and trying to flood. the gas cap is slightly opened to allow vent. i turn the idle screw all around and it continues on this way. i would guess its weak spark.. ive read all sorts of weird scenarios... was hoping someone can help that has similar problems. thanks in advance!
ill put up some photos when i get it right!

anyone have a repair/ owners manual???

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: aboard brsoo.

Well I couldn't watch the video because it was set to private. I use to have one of those little engines. But my version didn't have points. It had an ignition module. And once I replaced that ignition module, it run great until I finally sold it a year later and bought a new 9.8 Mercury... So all I can say is remove the carb and clean it and readjust the float level and try it again. Obviously if the carb is acting like it is flooding, the float is not shutting off the fuel properly...

brsoo

Seaman
Thanks for the response! I turned the carb upside down to level the float.. Is this a accurate way to set it?
I made the video public now, BTW.
I'll try to rebuild the carb again. And test it...

brsoo

Seaman
just to let everyone know what worked... the fuel pump (a thin rubber thing) was torn from running lean i think. for these motors you use a 11/16th? drill bit to measure float level. Mod Edit.

Last edited by a moderator: