1954 Gale Buccaneer 5hp water pump question

klakecruiser

Recruit
Hello I have recently dug out an old Gale Buccaneer 5 hp outboard that had been sitting for a good 10 years. I put mixed gas and sprayed starting fluid in the carb and it started up. But now I would like to know how to check if the water pump is working properly so I don't burn up the motor, I see the screen where it sucks the water in but I cant see where it comes out. Any help would be great. It is a 1954 Gale Buccaneer 5hp model # 5D10B.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Very popular model. There are slots about half way down the backside. Water will slobber out those slots any time it is running. BTW, the impeller is same as a Johnson TD-xx, and is NLA. But you can use a CD-xx 5.5hp impeller by enlarging the center hole a bit.

klakecruiser

Recruit
Alright well then the water pump is working because water does slobber out of their, Also can you tell me what the water flush screw/plug is for on the side? And what oil do you recommend for the lower unit? Thanks for the Response!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Water flush is just that--to flush the cooling system using a water hose and adapter. Intended purpose is to flush it out with fresh water after salt-water use.

Gear oil is regular 80-90 weight outboard gear lubricant. Available almost everywhere including here.