Wiring Question

gm280

Supreme Mariner
OMG, I went a little too far with your photos and seen a really strange sheep episode... I may not be able to sleep tonight now... SMH :eek:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Hm.m.m, interesting photo. Anyhoo, back to reality, the two wires on the side of the mag are normal. One goes to the breaker plate and the other is the kill wire going to the key switch.

The red switch on the bracket is the safety switch. Keeps the electric starter from operating at advanced throttle settings. There should be a wire on it coming from the starter solenoid. And note: You must use the right kind of solenoid. A car solenoid will destroy the safety switch.

JBell719

Cadet
Thank you F_R. On the side of the amg, that wire that is supposed to head up to the key, is that supposed to be connected a hot side or a ground side on the switch? This motor has been transplanted onto this boat and the previous guy me with a nest of wires in the splash well

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Neither. The key switch should have two "M" terminals. One is grounded, the wire goes to the other one. When you turn the key off, the two "M" terminals are electrically connected, grounding the mag wire to kill the spark.

New key switches likely will mark the one "M" as "G" or something similar. That is to comply with late model motors with CD ignition.

JBell719

Cadet
Well I rewired it the way that you said to do and still don't have any luck with this motor. I am throwing my hands up and walking away from this one. Thanks for all your help