McCulloch 45 hp outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt8709

Recruit
I have a old McCulloch 45 outboard. The motor is complete with controls and all. I have been trying to find out what year it is and have not had much luck. I have somewhat narrowed it down to a 66-69 model. The only thing I can read on the tag on motor is the number 83. Can anyone help?

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Can't help you with the year, but those motors were bullet-proof! Sucker wouldn't die no matter how hard I unwittingly tried. As I recall, there wasn't much difference year - over - year back then ...

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Not enough information. But they were pretty similar over the later years.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
1966-67 thery made 4 different 45 but none with a 83 in the #, Then in 68-69 they made 2 model 45 but no 83 in the #, In 64-65 they made1 model 45 and the serial # had 45 as the first #. Im thinking the same thing as FR that they didnt change much if at all.Im gonna look at the manual to see if theres much difference. No luck in the manual. sorry

Last edited:

Trevorpeddie

Recruit
IS THE ORIGINAL SER # PLATE STILL INTACT? IF SO YOU MAY BE ABLE TO ETCH THE PLATE TO BRING THE NUMBERS BACK OR IF THEY WERE STICKERS OR PAINT YOU MAYBE ABLE TO USE THE LIGHT FROM A REALLY BRIGHT LIGHT SHAWN ON AN ANGLE OF THE PLATE IN ORDER TO SEE THE DISCOLORATION WERE THE NUMBERS WERE? DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK BUT THATS HOW I FOUND MINE.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
IS THE ORIGINAL SER # PLATE STILL INTACT? IF SO YOU MAY BE ABLE TO ETCH THE PLATE TO BRING THE NUMBERS BACK OR IF THEY WERE STICKERS OR PAINT YOU MAYBE ABLE TO USE THE LIGHT FROM A REALLY BRIGHT LIGHT SHAWN ON AN ANGLE OF THE PLATE IN ORDER TO SEE THE DISCOLORATION WERE THE NUMBERS WERE? DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK BUT THATS HOW I FOUND MINE.

Will you please read the Help Tip on top of the page, especially about posting to threads with no activity for more than 90 days. The OP made one post and hasn't returned. This is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.