1963 gale 15hp high speed jet

jdfitz

Recruit
I just acquired a 1963 gale 15hp. After putting a carb kit in it, I noticed the high speed jet would not adjust. I pulled the jet back out and there is a sleeve that looks like it should have stayed in the carb attached to it. What is the best way too reinsert the sleeve and make it stay in place?

Willyclay

Captain
Welcome to the iboats.com forum! The members here are great and the experts, which I am not, can help you solve any problems you may have with that classic old motor. I believe you are referring to the "gland nut" that holds the packing in place around the needle valve. If so, it should be threaded and stay put without too much effort. Hopefully, one of the forum gurus will post in and verify exactly what you need to do. Good luck!

Jim Haden

Recruit
I think you are referring to the low speed needle, the upper one, and its sleeve.

The sleeve has to be screwed onto the needle and then the needle placed into the carb. Then the packing washers go in, usually three of them. These are followed by the gland nut which has to be snugged down on the washers and sleeve to lock the sleeve in place so the needle can be adjusted. Be sure the needle isn't screwed in too far while tightening the gland nut or its tip and seat can be damaged.

Here's the setup from an earlier ten horse but yours is similar.

DSC00943.jpg

jdfitz

Recruit
Thanks for the help. I have the needle figured out now the thing won't idle. At high rpm's it runs great. Would it just be an adjustment issue?

Willyclay

Captain
Could be. Try this procedure from the FAQ's by forum guru Joe Reeves:

--------------------------------------------------
(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle va /lve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, wating for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

FYI, these procedures are intended to be performed on a boat in the water not on a hose or in a barrel. The prop loading is important. Good luck!