1977 Gamefisher 7.5 water pump access HELP!!!

Hello,
I have a 1977 Sears Gamefisher 7.5hp. I just got it and I want to replace the impeller in the water pump that cools the exhaust gas. I can not get the gear housing assembly to separate from the column assembly. I removed the bolt in front and loosened the nut in the rear but I can't get the two sections apart. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I had one that the drive shaft was twisted and it was a bear to get out. Did you by chance take the screw out of the shifter rod. Its 2 piece and is held together by a screw.

Screw in the shift rod? I have a small lever that flips to put it in gear and take it out, I am not sure what you mean by shift rod. My original one had the drive shaft seized up inside the clutch assembly. I had to use a torch to heat it up to get the drive shaft out and ruined the clutch in the process. I don't know if the sleeve needs to be in place or not.

dude11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Right above the foot,when pulling column apart.There is a bolt that holds shift rod together.Only a small amount of space to reach screw head,but very doable..