Getting Frustrates

JBell719

Cadet
Hello everyone, I decided that I needed to get back on the water and enjoy some time disconnected. I saved this wonderful jewel from a farmers field that was covered in tumble weeds! There is no matter work on either the engine or the boat. I gave myself a crash course in repairing the interior, replaced from the stringers up. Now its on to the fun part. This engine turns over and tries to fire, but it will not stay running. When I hook up the battery, something is not right
frown.gif
Do boats get wired the same as vehicles? Does anyone have any idea of what engine this really is and where I can find some wiring diagrams for it?

Model number - gg18807b
Serial number- 36x881529

20150602_192933_zpsbo7bny43.jpg 20150602_192916_zpse2zmwbuj.jpg

mfkadz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What have you done to this field find of a motor so far???

mike

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
1963 year 60 hp. I have the repair manual in PDF if you would like a copy. Shoot me your email address in a private message and Id be glad to share.

JBell719

Cadet
So far I have cleaned the fuel system, pulled the plugs to clean them and check to make sure I had some kind of compression.

Brim buster I sent you an pm with my email. thank you

JBell719

Cadet
After looking through the manual and tryign to figure things out. I am still not able to get this thing running. I have to pour a fuel mix into the carb to get ti running. I dont even see the carb in the manual yu sent over brim buster.

Dont really want to take it the local boat shop, but I am afraid that is going to be my only option

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The fact that you mentioned that you had to pour fuel into the carb to get it to run at all means you have a fuel delivery problem. And that can be anything from the fuel tank to the primer bulb to the fuel pump to the fuel lines themselves to the carb(s) and choke system. So start with the tank and work your way towards the engine. Chance the fuel line(s) and primer bulb and even the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb. Then remove the fuel line at the carb inlet and crank over the engine to see if fuel flows well out of the pump. If not, there is your first repair/replace project to fix. If the fuel pump seems to pump a good stream, then the carb is the next issue. Buy a carb kit and disassembly the carb, clean it really good with carb spray and air and install all the new gaskets and parts. Then try cranking the engine again... Post back here how everything works out one way or the other...

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thats odd it doesnt have a carb section. Let me look and make sure I sent you everything.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
does this look right?

JBell, yes remove that fuel line going into the lower part of the carb and crank the engine over to see if the fuel comes out in a good stream. If it does, you now have a carb issue. If it doesn't flow out well, then you have a fuel pump and possibly a carb problem... JMHO

JBell719

Cadet
OK, I got it checked out and have a good pulse of fuel coming out. Had it running once, but now I have just have cranking. When i pump my primer ball I have fuel coming out of the lower unit? I think this thing is going to be the death of me