viking questions about compression and parts

derek_dickerson

Recruit
Well hello everyone,
I'm brand new to this forum, but I have visited it from time to time when working on some of my other vintage outboards. I recently picked up a viking outboard #12d13v, I believe the serial decodes to a 1956 12hp twin deluxe. The seller said it was running poorly, but had compression and spark. I figured for $80 the outboard looked cool and vintage enough to try and get going. Does anyone know what the compression is roughly on these motors? I figure it should be around 70-80psi? Just did a compression test on it and came out with 30psi on the bottom and 40psi on the top. I noticed silicon on the head gasket area and I'm going to pressurize one cylinder and see if a hear leakage from the other cylinder or pressure from the split hole. Any idea where I could get a head gasket or any parts for this thing? or is it going to be a wall hanger.
Thanks,
-Derek

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Head gasket is part number 552181. An Evinrude dealer can order one for you. Or try o-line sources, searching for the part number.

Those compression numbers are way too low. Also, check the coils. They have a 100% failure rate with age. If they haven't already been replaced, they are no good (cracked). Get new ones here at iboats.