Sears Game Fisher Power Head & Lower Unit Seperation

Although I'm new to this Forum, I've been working on outboards for some time. I recently became the owner of a Sears Game Fisher Model 217-58870, which if correct is a 1972 7hp. single cylinder. This motor looks to be in pretty decent shape, good compression, good spark, fairly clean carb, and so on. Two things I'd like to address before I light a fire in it. First is that the clutch doesn't seem to disengage, and the lever doesn't seem to do anything other than stop the throttle lever in the neutral position. the other item is to check out the water pump. Here lies my problem, after removing the bolts there is a slight gap between the power head and mid section, but I can't separate the two. Also when I remover the bolt and nut from the lower unit, it wouldn't separate either. I have tried gentle prying on these parts, but I don't want to damage anything. I can't see anything else to remove to get these parts to separate, so any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Theres a clip below the cavitation plate on the back side. It pops off then unscrew the stud

If you are talking about the little "V" shaped Stainless Steel plate with the stud and nut behind it, been there, done that. I can move the lower unit around as much as the confines of the Drive shaft and stud will allow. I can also move the mid section a little at the engine base. I think I am going to try to turn the thing upside down and try to shoot a little Liquid wrench into the Crank/Drive shaft coupling. Perhaps it is rusted, or wedged tight with carbon.