Buccaneer Model 5D15B Information Needed

Tok 6947

Recruit
I'm really glad to have found a site like this and that others are willing to share their knowledge of some of these old engines. A friend asked me to help try to start his Buccaneer 5D15B motor which hasn't been run in over 25 years. It is S/N 750526 and I'm trying to learn more about it . From reading other posts I'm guessing it is a 1958 unit and I'd need Champion J6C plugs at 0.030". I've supplied Model and S/N hoping that if I 'm incorrect someone might be able to determine the year from this information. The other thing I'm sure I'll need is a new impeller or whatever rubber parts make up the water pump assembly and hopefully some instructions as to how to access the water pump. I assume I'll need the year to determine the correct parts for the pump if replacement parts are still available. If anyone out there would be willing to help a newbie enter the world of OLD if not antique outboards, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
TOK6947

F_R

Supreme Mariner
A 5D15B indeed is a 1958 Buccaneer, made by Gale Products Division of OMC. You may have heard of other Divisiions of OMC---Johnson and Evinrude. The Buccaneer is similar to, but not same as, it's cousins. Water pump is the same. You have to remove the powerhead to disconnect the shift rod in order to remove the lower unit to get to the pump. Not a big deal though. When you get it off, pay particular attention to the seal assembly at the top end of the driveshaft. Always replace the 303355 gasket and 303347 o-ring associated with the seal.

If you are going to be working on this motor, do yourself a favor and obtain a parts book for it. With that, you can look up the part numbers and take them to an Evinrude dealer for replacements. Without the numbers, he won't give you the time of day because he doesn't have the book either.

You can bet the farm that the coils are shot in that motor. ALL 1958 OMC motors have cracked coils unless they have already been replaced. Get new ones here at iboats. Same as J/E. Carburetor kits here also, and also same as J/E.

Tok 6947

Recruit
F_R thanks for the information, I'm quite familiar with Johnson/ Evinrude, I'm from Wisconsin. I'll take your advise get the manuals and check on parts from there. Again, thank you for the help.

Tok 6947

Recruit
I've seen two different configurations for water pump impellers for 5 Hp Bucaneer motors. F_R has mentioned that is a vertical shaft mount and I don't doubt that, but afterward I saw a different configuration. One is on the vertical drive shaft and the other is on the horizontal shaft to the prop. Is the 1958 motor the vertical shaft impellor. Does anyone have a part number for that and for an ignition coil.
Thanks,
Tok 69478

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
The prop shaft pump is on a Straight drive motor.Your is a full gear shift.
Impeller is 18-3001 ignition coil is 18-5181.
You can get them right here at iboats.