1960 35hp Gale Buccaneer shift linkage question

Hey...first time visitor/poster.....I recently bought this 35hp Gale for $50 at a garage sale....and she's well on her way to cwwoming back to life.....question....after replacing water pump impeller....i;m having a heck of a time getting the shift linkage to operate correctly..my questions:
1:. Can this linkage be hooked up properly with the lower unit bolted back up....or is this something that while bolting up the lower unit needs to be done.
2. What position does the shift lever need to be in when replacing lower unit? Neutral? and then if you happen to grab the shift rod in the lower unit and it moves up.....have i just taken it from neutral to drive? or does the motor need to be running to determine this?

Thanks in advance!!
Steve

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You are making it far too complicated. Install the lower unit and bolt it up. Now, using a flashlight, peer into the oval access hole on the side of the midsection and you will see the shift rod connector just waiting for you. Move either rod as necessary to get the notch in the shift rod perfectly aligned with the screw hole in the brass connector. Install screw and oval cover. Done. Warning: If you don't get it perfectly aligned, the screw will drag on the edge of the notch, wiping the threads off the screw. Then it will fall out....but never at dockside, always 5 miles out.

1. You are dead right about the threads coming off.....anyway...got that fixed. And it does look like i was making it complicated.......i had been doing it right the entire time....(thought it didnt look too complicated) THE problem is.......when i was checking/filling the lower unit gear oil......i removed the phillips screw from the lower unit......i have since learned that this is the pivot screw for shifting and should not have been removed..........what i have NOT been told how to do is fix it now.......any help????

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You aren't the first one and won't be the last. Look in the hole and see if the hole in the fork is even close to the pin hole. If it is, you are in luck. Grind or file a taper on the end of the pin, stick it in the hole, aiming to get the pointy end into the fork and rotate while gently pushing. It should drag the fork into position and slide right in.