Ted Williams Project

HarkatScott

Recruit
Greetings! New member here. I perused some closed threads and found a great wealth of information on my recent purchase, a 72' Ted Williams 4.5 hp motor. Thanks to all those who have built up a collection of files and attachments, it's been a helpful resource.

I wasn't planning on it, but was looking through craigslist and saw this outboard for 20 bucks and thought, why not. So it does start, kinda runs, but sputters at high revs and cuts out without the choke.I've got as far as draining old fuel, putting in new fuel and oil mix, yes for air cooled 2 strokes and some sea foam. The engine starts easier and runs a little smoother but still sputters and fails withouth the choke.

Looks like I'll spend a bit and hit up ebay for a carb kit which takes a bit of a shipping ding being in Canada. Anyways I'm open to any input or old manuals and the like. Cheers and thanks for your time.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: HarkatScott to iboats. Great to have you join us...

I once had an older Sear sold 7.5 HP air cooled OB engine. It had a bad ignition module and once I replaced that it worked very well for over a year before I sold it. Post some pictures of your engine so we can see what you're fixing. And it does seem like it needs some carb work and kit installed. That should solve your problems. :thumb:

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Carb kit might be needed. But usually all they need is a good cleaning and maybe a couple of cheap washers. Also make sure it has the correct the spark plug.

HarkatScott

Recruit
Here are a few pics for reference. Put some sea foam and ran it for awhile but still sputters so looks like I will have to take the carb off for a cleaning.

Attachments

• image.jpg3_zpsnzdgyeaz.jpg
    image.jpg3_zpsnzdgyeaz.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg4_zpsob747233.jpg
    image.jpg4_zpsob747233.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Really not much difference between your 4.5 and my old 7.5 air cooled engine. I see very similar controls. I would remove the carb and do a good cleaning. It never hurts... Post back here to let us know how everything works out. I know I'm interested... :thumb: