Briggs outboard no start

splangeland

Recruit
I have a Briggs outboard that I can't get running. Has 90 psi compression, has spark and is getting fuel, flywheel key is good but it still will not run. Any ideas?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Speaking generically,
Are you sure the plug is good, it may not fire under compression.
spark should jump 7/16 In a spark tester.
If its been apart maybe they didn't get the valve timing right.
Have you tried squirting gas into the carb or plug hole?
Is the timing set right?

robert graham

Admiral
It's most likely trash in the carburetor....just like with the lawn mower....pull float bowl and check for trash there or in main jet. Always use Stabil in your gas and drain carb once or twice a year to prevent deposits from forming....

splangeland

Recruit
When I first bought it at the end of last summer I cleaned and rebuilt the carb. I soaked it in a solution of cleaner that I got from the parts store, then I sprayed Carb cleaner through it to clean the solution out of the Carb. I have also replaced the coil due to no spark and set the air gap to what the manual called for. I put three different spark plugs in it to make sure I didn't gave bad plugs. I did try spraying Carb cleaner in the intake and wasn't getting a pop out of it. How do I set the timing? I checked the fly wheel key znd it was not sheared or damaged at all.

splangeland

Recruit
I also put a new filter in it. I was able to mess with it a little today, my problem seems to be that it is over fueling big time. To the point that gas will be sitting inside the cylinder if I repeatedly try to start it. I decided I would try and adjust the mixture to see what would happen and in the process I broke the adjustment screw off, trying to remove the limiter cap. I was able to get it to run for 3-4 seconds, then 1-2 seconds, then just a brief second. After that all it would do is flood.

robert graham

Admiral
Maybe a hole in carb float or bad needle valve/seat....just like in the back of a toilet!...it's got to maintain a level...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
If its flooding turn off the gas and see if it will startFlooding could be almost anything.
But the float is a good place to start. Flip the carb over and blow into the gas line.
Many carbs with it upside down the float should be parallel with the carb body.
Just for testing if it starts with the gas off open the shutoff just enough for a quick test run.

splangeland

Recruit
I submerged the float to check for a hole and when I took it out there was no gas inside of it. I went to turn the gas off and got curios, my shutoff is currently not working. Fuel will still go through it in the off position. Unfortunately I won't have time to mess with it this weekend, but hopefully I'll get a minute or two.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
thats still not your problem. follow steelspikes instructions more than likely your problem. you can always run a screw in your fuel line to get it to stop flowing while you check the carb.