Identify Scott Atwater or Firestone, Year, paint Color, Parts, Decals

oliver2-44

Cadet
I would appreciate some help identifying this old motor I'm beginning to restore. It's been in the family many many years, so it has heirloom value to us

The ID tag is missing. It looks like a Attwater? or Frestone ?3.5 hp with the 4 bolt head. Is there a way to tell if it is a 1946 or 1947 year. The engine cylinder has "1881 cast on one side and 462 cast on the other.

Is there a way to identify if it is a Scott Atwater vs a Firestone? and the exact year?

What colors should these be
gas tank, ?
engine ?
lower unit?

Parts I'm looking for:
Prop and spinner nut - I see some on ebay not listed as atwater, is there a generic size/model number I can search for
Recoil starter
Lower engine covers right & left
Carburetor

​Parts to trade
I have the parts from the lower unit of a Montgomery Wards 35gg-9014a and a 54gg9011 to trade for the above parts. I also have a set of lower engine shrouds that I think fit one of these but not sure which one. (These parts were in grandpa's shed with the atwater motor)

Decals -Can you recommend a source?

Thanks.
atwater 3.5 hp complete motor.JPG atwater 3.5 hp 4 bolt cyl head.JPG atwater 3.5 hp cylinder casting 1881.JPG atwater cyl with cast 462.JPG atwater 3.5 hp engine.JPG atwater 3.5 hp gas tank.JPG stwater 3.5 hp points and coil.JPG
atwater 3.5 hp gray & green paint on lower unit.JPG The lower unit had an area that is possible original under several layers of brush paint it looks like dark green over a dark gray. wal the original the green or the gray

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, Oliver.

A word of caution - Selling, buying, trading, etc. are not allowed in the forum. Thanks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
No problem. It happens a lot. And I appreciate trying to keep one of these oldies running. Good luck.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
My parts books show a 6-bolt head on 1947 Scott-Atwater, 4-bolt on 1946. However, I have a 1947 Firestone with a 4-bolt. Seems like the Firestone must have been the "old" Scott-Atwater model. '46-47 Firestones were dull aluminum paint. Not sure when Scott started the green paint.

EDIT: Picture of my original 1947 Firestone 3.5hp http://s19.postimg.org/otp5up6er/1947_Firestone.jpg

EDIT EDIT: Notice the model/serial number on the stern bracket.

Last edited:

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class
my 1946 does not provide any mounting for a recoil. Flywheel and tank are different from newer deluxe models. yes dull aluminum, not very pretty. painted my green and polished the lower unit. Bottom shield should be one piece mounted to bottom of tank. Probably missing because you have to take tiller off to remove over prop if tank is installed. Decals are available I think ny marine. the 46 decal is plain. newer one look better. are you missing the carb?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
oliver, Nice little engine you have there. Are you repairing this engine to actually use, or simply restore? Because if you are mainly repairing for usage, then you can paint it whatever color(s) you like. But if you are restoring it to original then period color would be the better. Nice to see it either way. Post more progress and finished pictures for us all to see either way you finish it out... I'd like to see it finished! Good job :thumb:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
my 1946 does not provide any mounting for a recoil. Flywheel and tank are different from newer deluxe models. yes dull aluminum, not very pretty. painted my green and polished the lower unit. Bottom shield should be one piece mounted to bottom of tank. Probably missing because you have to take tiller off to remove over prop if tank is installed. Decals are available I think ny marine. the 46 decal is plain. newer one look better. are you missing the carb?

Actually 1946 model 461 was rope start, 1946 model 467 had a recoil.

Bryan Smith

Cadet
This motor has the 4 bolt head like my 1946 Firestone model 462 (rope start), but the newer lower unit with the gear box cap forward. My 1946 Firestone has the 4 bolt head also, but the gear box cap is aft with the prop shaft running through it and three screws in a row like I believe the early Champion motors were.
My 1946 Firestone has a Tillotson AJ2A carburetor if that helps. Some Firestones were rope start through 1948. The same tank was used on Firestone and Scott Atwater. I believe yours was rope start and with that green paint, probably Scott Atwater. My Firestone has the same numbers cast into the cylinder.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Actually, the 1946 parts book shows the forward gearcase cap. But you have to remember, WWII had just ended and outboard manufacturers were scrambling to get back into production and many pre-war parts were dug out of the storeroom to put together whatever they could.

461-1881 was the part number for the 4-bolt cylinder block

I believe 1947 Scotts had the 6-bolt block & head, but the 1947 Firestones had the old 4-bolt. It was common to use "last years leftover parts" to build the Firestones

Last edited: