Thor outboard restoration

Captain Nino

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am restoring a Thor single from 1936. It is made of steel. I don't know if it is stainless or what... I sanded it down and a thin layer of rust appeared on it a few days later. I am wondering how I can stop the rust after I polish it. Should I clear coat it? Will rust form under the clear coat? What is the best way to achieve a polished look without fighting rust?

I am also interested in finding a good gas tank and exhaust pipe for this motor that is dent free as well as any other information or advice on this motor or it's restoration.

Thanx

Attachments

• photo215828.jpg
    photo215828.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 0

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
You might check with the guys at www.aomci.org. Antique outboard motor club.
I'm pretty sure the clear coat will become un sightly in a short time.
My few steel accessory parts I polished and clear coated after a few years looked odd
gradually as the years went by they turned rust brown.
I also had 2 chrome bikes someone at the factory thought clear coat would be a good idea.
While they didn't rust they always looked like they needed polishing and of course there were some dings
that were unsightly.I removed all the clearcoat and just polished the chrome.
Your power head is probably cast iron.Being in close contact with stainless or brass and chrome
may accelerate the oxidation on the cast iron.
In your case I think silver paint or black or red on the power head.
The guys at aomci may have a color suggestion.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Neat older engine. Instead of painting, maybe you could have it plated. Not necessarily chrome plated but maybe nickel or some other less corrosive metal to still have the older look but will not rust out again. Look into metal plating and see what is offered. Just a suggestion. Also post your efforts along and of course the finished product. I love seeing things like this..