Old motor parts for 1957 Buccaneer 12 HP

Seahorse16

Petty Officer 3rd Class
A very kind older gentlemen who has far too many vintage outboards to restore gifted me this 1957 Gale Buccaneer 12HP (12D15B). It looks to be in great shape although I haven't opened it up yet. It also doesn't have a prop. He gave me another prop to get me started (see pictures) but I need to find the proper one.

How do I know what parts are interchangable? I assume Sea King is the same, but can I also use Evinrude/Johnson from same years?

Is there a good website for these old parts? I've found a few, but they didn't seem to have much..

Regarding the prop, how do I know the right specs I need?

To get started, I was going to replace the seals, carb rebuild, impeller, plugs, hoses...I don't think it's been run for decades

Any help would be much appreciated!

Seahorse16

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Attachments

• photo215472.jpg
    photo215472.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo215473.jpg
    photo215473.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Most, but not all parts are same as 1956 Evinrude & Johnson 15hp, including the prop. Main difference is the internal powerhead parts, crank, rods, pistons. Do yourself a favor and get a parts list specific for your model, then any Evinrude dealer or on-line Evinrude parts source can supply the part, once you have the part number.

EDIT: It is virtually identical to this one:
http://www.richardlpaquette.ca/12D13VManual.PDF

Last edited:

Seahorse16

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Wow, thanks F_R! I actually found several pdf manuals online but none of them listed the parts numbers. This will help a lot!

Seahorse16

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I found an original prop that matches this number, anyone know if there are new props that work better than the old ones? and how do you tell if they fit? I believe I need a 9x11" prop. Is that all I go off of? How do I match shaft size and connection?

Seahorse16

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Here is a prop I found that has the correct part number. Are these original parts the way to go (obviously if you want an original motor) or are there aftermarket modern props that work better?

Attachments

• photo215497.jpg
    photo215497.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The original was ok for the average boat the motor was normally expected to be used on. It was claimed to be semi-weedless, but that was a laugh.

Seahorse16

Petty Officer 3rd Class
F_R The manual you showed me lists spark plugs as Champion J6J. Are these still the way to go, or are there better ones recommended now?

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Champion now calls them J6C, but still the way to go.