INHERITED CLINTON OUTBOARD MOTOR

Raybuck

Recruit
Hi....I have recently inherited a Clinton Outboard motor. It is a model J9-1113 Serial Number 122266. I know nothing about it. It was my father's motor and he took very good care of it until his health began to fail. The last couple of years it just sat. Does anyone know what year it is? How about the horsepower? Is there a market for this outboard if I should decide to sell it? Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• clinton.jpg
    clinton.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 3
  • clinton2.jpg
    clinton2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 2

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
I have one that is very similar; a Clinton Apache 5 hp. Yours is probably a late 60's early 70's (maybe someone will know better than me). I believe it's a 5 hp. Mine runs great though I rarely use it. I paid $25 for mine and I don't think it was used more than a few times. Market price? Running nicely I'd say about 50 to 100. You can probably find the exact year if you do a little searching such as ebay, utube and using Clinton outboard as a search word. Once again, nice running and simple motor. It's air cooled with a small 'pipe' on the lower unit that forces water up (when moving) to cool the lower unit/lower engine bearing. If you run it in a tank don't do it for too long as the water pipe is there for a purpose and needs forward movement for the cooling water.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Raybuck, that is an exceptionally nice looking motor you have there. The J9 was made for a number of years during the 1960's. Your serial number places it in the mid to late 1960's. It is 5hp, It is air cooled, but I believe you will find it does have a water pump to cool the exhaust housing. If the pump doesn't work, the exhaust gets stinking hot and it is like the powerhead is sitting on a hot stove, and it overheats also.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
I stand corrected. Thanks F_R! I was thinking of my Eska as far as the cooling goes. You are right; the Clinton does have a water pump (no pickup pipe). There is a row of small exhaust holes on the sides of the leg. If your pump is working you should get an exhaust / mist mix coming out of these; not just exhaust Sorry for the confusion. Once again, they're nice little motors; at least mine is.

Raybuck

Recruit
Thanks for all the help. When (or if) the weather ever breaks here I will get her fired up and then decide what to do with her. It is a very clean motor. Dad took very good care of it and truthfully only used it a couple times a year.