Gale 15D15

water-works

Recruit
Hi, I have aquired this old 1960's outboard, which I have checked the impeller, blown through the carb with carb cleaner, set the points gaps, and re oiled the gear case. New plugs, and a good spark.

It runs for a few minutes coughs a few times then dies, and then won't re start. There are tiny air leaks and oily bubbles from the crankcase join. And I am using a gravity feed tank on it that I know is clean for now.

At the moment I need to just get this motor running however roughly so I can move my boat from a to b around a marina.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
The coils are the weak point on these motors.Any indication of cracks or oxidation.
Not unusual for them to fail as they heat up.
Also you need to clean and adjust the points.Note the condition of both ends of the plug wires.
If you had a primer bulb on the tank it could serve as a temporary fuel pump.
Is the vent on the tank working?

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Did 'blown through the carb with carb cleaner' include dropping the bowl to check for sediment,float action, etc.? If you haven't you need to do that. What steelspike said is very true regarding the coils. If they are a 'pinkish' color they are original and no matter how they look they are toast. You can start and run the motor sometimes with bad coils but they will crap out. You will have had spark and thought you were good to go in that area but you'll find you have failed coils.

Last edited: