Haiwatha 38

MTBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recieved a 38hp Haiwatha model number 850M3-25-8015A
Does anyone know how to get specifications about it and its value if running well. Also where to get parts if needed?
Thanks

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
It's probably the same as a 1958 Scott-McCulloch 40HP. You might be able to get some parts for that motor.

latemodel

Cadet
I agree with tomhath, it was probably built by Scott.
According to a Scott Model Number Service Bulletin issued in 1964 they built Hiawathas from 1957 until 1962, but they only built a 3.6 1961 and a 3.6 and 7.5 in 62. The last big motor was a 60 HP in 1960.
They list a 35 HP in 1957.
They list two 38 HP in 1958, one standard and one extended shaft.
They only list one 40 HP version in 1959.
They list two 40 HP again in 1960.
Unfortunately none of the model numbers they list are close to yours. If it's a 38 HP it should start with 4685 which is listed as a manual start, or 346 denoting electric start. I question the 346 as Scott had assigned "4" to Hiawatha products and all of the 58 models started with 4. Probably a typo.
The 1958 40 HP Scott specs should be close to your motor if it is a Scott.
I can send you those specs if you send me your email address.
As far as parts, search for Scott outboard parts and a number of places will come up.
Post a pic ot two with the cowl off and that would help ID it.

Don

MTBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks a bunch.
Actually I mentioned the Model Number, but, the Serial number is 46851018. My email is clintw@bresnan.net.
Appreciate any help on this
Are these valuable in any respect, or just a fun older motor to try and get going and use? I imagine its 50/1 gas oil?

latemodel

Cadet
MTB,
I am not familiar with the Hiawatha 38 (40), but the 1960 60HP Hiawatha has a great looking cowl and may have some value, but generally a 40 Scott even in running condition does not command much of a price. Yours appears to be a manual start, that also is also a negative.
As far as a "user" motor it depends on what you want to use it for.
If it's frequent weekend fishing/skiing your better off with a more modern motor. If you have the skills and interest in getting an old motor going again it would make a good project, especially if you have a vintage boat to put it on. Most external parts can be found.
Make sure it has compression and the lower unit is in good shape before you start. A low cylinder or rusty lower unit turns it into a parts motor.
It is a roller bearing motor and 50:1 is OK as long as it's a good outboard oil.
I will forward specs tonight.

Don

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
I think you have a couple of characters wrong in the model number. It's most likely OM3-8015A (starts with the letter OH), the other numbers before and after that aren't important, maybe a production run designator or something like that.

A manual for the Royal Scott 40hp motor can be found online with a little searching.

Last edited:

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have a copy of the Scott manual if you would like a copy. It cover all models even the 40.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The Hiawatha branded motor in that horsepower probably is somewhat rare. That probably won't make it worth a lot of $$$, but it probably would draw a lot of attention at an Antique Outboard Club meet. www.aomci.org Great hobby.