Gale Buccaneer 5D10B 5 hp questions

kjboggs

Seaman Apprentice
I've had this outboard my brother gave me and am attempting to get it running. I started it up last summer after some work and had some issues so trying to get them fixed as a winter project.

A couple of the issues I had was it started and ran fine, but It got blistering hot quickly and I had just installed a new water pump? I check the water tube and it was not blocked after i blew air through it, I am sure the pump is installed correctly?

Is there a pee hole or something so I can visibly see if it is pumping water or do these run hotter than normal?

Also it is stuck in forward, cant get it to go into nuetral. in looking at the shift cable that is attached to a little lever, i cant tell what it trips to go from forward to nuetral? Only thing i can tell is that it may catch the end of that spring that is sticking out, which looks like it may be broken off?? But not sure, hopefully someone familiar with this model and the pics can see if anything looks out of wack that would not be causing it to shift??

thanks,

Attachments

• photo213321.JPG
    photo213321.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo213323.JPG
    photo213323.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo213324.JPG
    photo213324.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 0

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
I don't know how this works. They do call the little lever the clutch latch.The spring is called clutch and shock absorber.
Perhaps the latch catches the end of the spring unwinding it slightly releasing its grip on the drive shaft.
If you go over to www.aomci.org they may be able to help.
​ I would be interested to here the description.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
There should be a spray of water coming out the exhaust relief port. Did you have it deep enough in the test tank? The pump can't prime itself, it has to be under water to start. Another thing to be sure of is that the impeller's drive pin is in place. If all that's good you must have an obstruction somewhere else, might need to take the cylinder head off and check the water passages (a new head gasket is a good idea anyway). I've found chunks of old impeller fins inside the pump housing and at the powerhead where the tube connects.

kjboggs

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks,

Anyone have any idea how the clutch mechanism works pictured?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Thanks,

Anyone have any idea how the clutch mechanism works pictured?
Have you asked over at the Antique outboard site I suggested?
Membership is not required though worth every penny.

Last edited:

kjboggs

Seaman Apprentice
I think I figured it out, the end of the spring is not sticking out enough, but will definitely check there also.

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class
the spring looks normal. it should go in neutral if the motor is turning. you might have to tighten the cable at the arm, no slack. yes there is a pin in the shaft for the impeller.

kjboggs

Seaman Apprentice
I tried to pull up on the cable to simulate shifting, and it looks like the little lever that is supposed to contact the end of the spring would not contact it.

Tightening may help, or bending may help but do not want to alter it unless i know something is wrong.

With this spring type clutch mechanism, I cant just turn the prop by hand can I and see if its in nuetral or not?? Looks like it needs to be running and spinning for it to shift to nuetral properly?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Messages don't come through to me since they "fixed" the website. Anyway, as far as I can tell, it looks normal. Possibly the spring isn't all the way up on the hub?? But as for how it works, when the motor is running the whole clutch assembly is rotating, and the more load torque is applied, the tighter the spring wraps and the better it holds. But if you shift it to neutral, the lever contacts the tab on the spring and the rotation unwraps the spring enough that it loses it's grip. Put it back in gear, and the lever moves out of the way, spring wraps tightly again and off you go.

Yes, it has to be rotating for anything to happen. That means the motor has to be running or at least cranking with the starter. Turning the prop won't do anything.

The main reason for no neutral is improper adjustment of the cable. It has to be pulled up slightly with shifter lever down (in gear), then clamp tightened. Properly adjusted, the lever interrupts the spring when shifter lever is raised about half way.

DO NOT under any circumstances attempt to bend the interrupter lever. It WILL break if you do.

BTW, the lower unit is the same as the Johnson TN-xx models, but different drive shaft to mate with different powerhead.

Last edited:

kjboggs

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks F_R, that helps confirm that maybe when I took it apart i just may not have adjusted the cable properly!!!