Took the Plunge to a 5 HP 4 stroke Hidea Price was Right

Status
Not open for further replies.

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Decided to take a stab at it

Add on Craigslist reason for selling was bought bigger boat need bigger motor.Bought brand new 2 months ago $1100.00 including Tax. Only 5 hours on motor.

Offered $550 and got it for that.......Starts first pull and runs awesome

Soon after I got home with it I found out the real reason he was selling it .................an oil leak........which at first freaked me out......but turned out to be a result of over filling the crankcase oil due to not reading the Dip Stick correctly..............so it was coming out of the crankcase breather.

There is a screw in plug into the crankcase with the Dip Stick attached and the threads on the plug amount to 1/2 inch. The Owners manual says nothing about whether the plug should be screwed in or out when reading the Dipstick.

The previous owner checked it with the plug unscrewed and as such was over filling the oil.

I drained out the excess oil and ALL IS WELL. Moral of the Story........Plug must be screwed in to check oil level

The Happy Part.........I got a brand new motor for 1/2 price

Will keep Y'ALL posted on my further experiences with the gamble I decided to take

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Actual customer reports not very good.Cracked onboard tank burned impeller promised parts never delivered.
Others failed trim pin,hard to start failed pull cord.
15 hp demonstration started on the stand no water took 5 pulls to start.
Speed resembled that of the old E/J 9.5 near as I could tell.
I think for $550 you could get a refurbed 5.5 or 6 from the 50s or 60s.
Hopefully you won't need to change.

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have used it for about 10 hours now. No issues. Starts first pull. Not sure how fast a 5 hp should go but its a lot better and faster than rowing. I did not get it for speed.......if I want speed Ill put my 9.9 Merc 2 stroke on which I am now using as a kicker on my 19 ft cuddy cabin. I use an Electric for trolling and the 5 is only to get me from a to b in short order.

The 5 Hidea is noisy alright for a small outboard but that is because the exhaust is straight into the air as opposed to exhausting under water.The exhaust port is only about 1/4 inch in dia so my plan is to modify it to direct the exhaust under water.

So far so good

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
You will need a pressure relief hole in the exhaust tube.Preferably out of the water at rest.
Doesn't need to be much just enough to relieve back pressure.

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You will need a pressure relief hole in the exhaust tube.Preferably out of the water at rest.
Doesn't need to be much just enough to relieve back pressure.

Interesting. Is this something I can buy?? Have others had to do this?

Hmmm.....Wonder if the idea of exhausting into the air instead of water is an environmental lesser of two evils thing.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
I would say it is a diy project. Tricky to rig so it doesn't stress the exhaust port.
I think someone did it to a Briggs n Stratton 5 hp.
By the way a 5 hp with a tiller extension, so pilot can reach a middle seat, could make about 10 or 12 mph.

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Used it every day for 3 weeks in August......Starts first pull and runs like a charm. No Faults so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.